Bobbin Winder Recommendation

Old 11-01-2023, 07:38 AM

Default Bobbin Winder Recommendation

I have a 158 series Kenmore free arm machine which I actually use, and I broke the bobbin winder (can't fix it and can't find a replacement). I am looking for a stand alone bobbin winder that will work for class 15 and 66 bobbins.

Anybody have any recommendations? There are of course myriads on Amazon, but they all look the same to me.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:12 AM

It is still packed from my move but I have the basic Sidewinder that I bought for a Brother who's bobbin winder didn't work. I looked it up to see what it says it fit and it sure doesn't have very good info... saw where it said it didn't work on Brother but that's not my experience -- maybe it is high end Brothers/embroidery machines?? I'll see if I can find it today and give more specific info.

It worked fine for my needs but I can say that I got much better results with the power cord and not using batteries. I've used with plastic bobbins for the Cheap Brother, and metal bobbins for my vintage badged machine. Not sure if I ever used it for the 301 or not.

This site has a pretty good list of machines that don't fit:
https://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/...-bobbin-winder

Old 11-01-2023, 09:00 AM

Joe, the Sidewinder will work for 15 and fairly certain the 66. I don't remember if I tried a 66, but think so. I'm pretty sure I even used it for my Junker & Ruh which is like the early Wheeler & Wilson (8 & 9) machines.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:02 AM

Umm...I got a DeLuxe Sindwinder with my longarm. It is rather flimsy but it actually has been working just fine for me for about 12 years. Anyway, as far as I can tell, the difference between the plain Sidewinder and the deluxe model is that the deluxe model comes with a couple of different sizes plastic pegs for the the various sized bobbins. So it might work?
Old 11-01-2023, 09:58 AM

I will look at the Simplicity for sure. Thank you everyone for the responses.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:36 PM

Oh, I see the SideWinder is made by Simplicity.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:40 AM

I ordered the Simplicity Sidewinder, good thing too because I converted a machine to hand crank and lost the bobbin winder.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:57 AM

I was reading some of the reviews and some were not very complementary. I got mine from a thrift store and it works. I don't use it much though as don't sew that much. I know that it prefers parallel wound spools, but I think if you use a thread stand placed below so that thread travels the same place that it should work.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:08 AM

I have used a Sidewinder ever since they first came out and love it. In fact, I just bought a back-up even though the one I have still works fine. I like the way that it winds bobbins better than any of my machines, and if I run out midway thru a seam, I can easily replace the bobbin without re-threading my machine. For me, it is a must-have notion.