Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
invisible Machine Appliqué for Berries >

invisible Machine Appliqué for Berries

invisible Machine Appliqué for Berries

Old 04-25-2024, 03:16 AM

Default invisible Machine Appliqué for Berries

I am considering using Sue Garman’s “Bed of Roses” pattern for my next quilt project. However, it has a number of small berries, and I am not sure how well invisible machine appliqué would work. I have arthritis, and cannot hand applique at all.

When I machine appliqué, I use Superior Monopoly 100% Poly clear thread, using a tiny blanket stitch. I do not plan to stuff the berries. The total quilt size is 80” square, with 13 full size blocks and 12 smaller blocks. I don’t have the block measurements. I tried to upload a 4.47 MB photo, but it was too large.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-25-2024, 05:35 AM

I haven't done much applique but I did just watch a short video on using an invisible hemming stitch to put applique on on. It is the stitch that does a running stitch just outside the applique and then does a little stitch into the applique. It doesn't show as much thread on the applique as the blanket stitch.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:38 AM

Thanks SewingPup! I was afraid the machine stitches would pull and distort such a small piece.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:28 AM

If it is the pulling of the fabric that concerns you, there are two options that would help with that.

You could add a small piece of adhesive embroidery stabilizer behind the berries. These products do a great job and do not leave a sticky mess behind. I don't worry about little pieces left between the stitches and when the project is washed they will disappear.

The route I would probably go is place a piece of plain copy paper under your work (you could pin it in place or even baste it if you wanted) and sew away. I often will do this for raw edge applique. When ready to remove the paper, take a moistened Qtip and run it around the stitches on the paper side and let it sit for a minute - the water wicks into the paper quickly where the needle has made a hole and softens it - making removal quick and easy (if it doesn't come off easily - add a bit more water to you qtip and redo).

Old 04-26-2024, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Wow! I would say there are a few berries.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:34 AM

This is a beautiful quilt. Sue spargo quilt patterns are designed to be hand appliqued. this would be very difficult to do all the small pieces in this quilt by machine. Although it sounds like you are a pro. I would glue stick A FEW berries ON a TEST block, let it dry overnight or heat set with iron, put a wash out stabilizer on the back of the block and TEST A PIECE BEFORE BUYING THE PATTERN. that way, you will see if you are able to machine applique the pieces. Very ambitious quilt pattern, but very beautiful.
Let us know how your test comes out. Best wishes.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:53 AM

Ok - that is just gorgeous!! Yup - just a few berries and ......... oh so much more!
Old 04-27-2024, 10:26 AM

I use an invisible hemming stitch too...however, with this gorgeous quilt, I'd hand stitch...might take a while...
Old 04-28-2024, 05:24 AM

Just beautiful - wakes me up this morning.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:13 PM

Thanks so much for all the information and tips! I think it was just wishful thinking using a machine. I definitely want these to be plump, happy berries!

Thanks to everyone!