Guest Room

Old 05-11-2024, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Default Guest Room

How often should one have overnight guests to make it feasible to have a dedicated guest room?
Old 05-11-2024, 03:03 PM

It depends on if you want a guest room or not. One of my friends turned her's into storage just so her sister had to stay somewhere else when she visited. In our old house it was a dual guest/sewing room until it became full of fabric after I decided I did a lot more sewing than having guests and once my husband moved in we didn't have room for guests unless someone slept on the sofa.

here, we had hoped that my MiL could visit often but that doesn't look like it is really going to happen much due to her health conditions. Thinking maybe it will be a dual computer/guest room with us on laptops instead of desk tops when guests are present. Without her, we are planning on maybe one set of guests per year?
Old 05-11-2024, 09:35 PM

I have a dedicated guest room which is also a storage room for stuff I'm selling on eBay and anything else. We never have guests but I have some really nice antique furniture that I don't want to get rid of that I have that room furnished with for it just stays the "guest room"
Old 05-12-2024, 01:40 AM

I say your house your rules! I have a 4 bedroom brick bungalow, so one for me that has no closet, one for my daughter when she visits, one oddly shaped room that has a massive walk in closet at the end so I use that, it is also dedicated to my cats litter boxes, food bowls, extra litter, etc, and one dedicated guest room ready should the need arise.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:35 AM

I agree - your house, your rules. All of our families live far away - some on other continents - so we do have a guest room. It doubles as my sewing room, and I don't mind. When we have house guests, I'm usually too busy to sew. Unless it's one of my brothers who invariably comes with mending. Then I begrudgingly do a little sewing while he's here.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

I have two dedicated bedrooms. The grands have the second one when they stay over. My family all live in the same area so no need for guest room. We don't have visiting friends that stay overnight. I use the other spare rooms for a tv/ game room for the grands and the other larger one for my sewing room. One of the sofas n the living room is a sleeper sofa.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:49 AM

I live in an old house with 3 bedrooms. One bedroom is for me, one bedroom (the biggest of the 3) is my sewing room and the other bedroom is a sewing room for my friends to gather and sew. The living room downstairs houses my quilting machine and fabric. The dining room is my living room. My dining table is in the kitchen. I agree with tallchick - My house, my rules.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:29 AM

My sewing room is the guest room, it has a sofa sleeper in it. Good enough for guests, plenty of room for them. I just tidy things up a bit for them, it's right next to a full bath and it's at the opposite end of the house so plenty of privacy.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:36 AM

I have a guest room as my sister comes to visit. I have stayed in enough cluttered guest rooms in my time that I do not use it as storage. (I have plenty of storage elsewhere) . I make sure it is comfortable and I have slept in it on occasion. And it has an attached bath which is also nice.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:58 AM

I always wanted a lovely welcoming guest room, but from the time my children left home to now with grandchildren, I found they stayed over. When I moved to a condo, I made the extra bedroom my sewing room and bought a good sofa sleeper for the times I need a spare bed. Works for me.

It all depends on your family, your wishes to invite guests and your space. Use space in a way that makes sense to you and meets your needs. Your in the home more often than guests.