Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Wall >

Quilting Wall

Quilting Wall

Old 02-09-2010, 02:40 AM

Thanks for the great ideas. Like the reversed table cloth

You might want to try http://www.bing.com/
next time you do a search - easier to find things.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:00 AM

For my quilting weekends away I always take a flannel back tablecloth; if I don't use it one of the other girls do:)
Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 AM

My design wall is made from a 4 x 8 sheet of styrofoam insulation that came from Home Depot - it cost about $10. One end is covered with white fleece - the other with black fleece - I use black to audition pastel colors - white seems to suck the color right out of pastel fabrics.

I have a long wall in my sewing room, but if I needed to I could cut this sheet in half and have 2 small design walls.

The fabric sticks to the fleece without needing to pin. If I do pin - pins slide in & out of the styrofoam with ease.

So - - no need to purchase a design wall - just look around the local hardware store and your creative mind with figure out the best materials to use to fit your needs. :)
Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 AM

I bought two pieces of flannel (white) each two yards and hung them one under the other.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-14329.jpe  
Old 02-09-2010, 06:02 AM

A design wall is an absolute must for me. I got two pieces of foam insulation board (4' x 8' each) from the builders' supply store. First I cut two feet off the end of each since there's nowhere in my house where I can stand up something 8 feet tall. I hinged the two big pieces together on the now 6' edge with duct tape and also bound the outside edges with duct tape so the foam wouldn't fall off later. I covered the entire thing in a flannel-like fabric. (And yes, there is a seam, but that's not a problem.) Now it will fold in the middle and slide under the bed when it's not in use. I did the same thing with the two smaller pieces I'd cut off, hinging them on the 4' edge, covering with flannel. That gives me a smaller design board that will fit into my car and can be taken to classes, retreats, etc. Two for the price of one!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:18 AM

All of your suggestions are really great. Hubby has some long boards out at the shop and I had some W & N I bought for 50% off and never used.... Viola - My quilting wall! Thank you so much for all the great ideas. I could even make a smaller version with flet I have. hmmmmm The walls could be totally padded - which I probably need. lol Thank you all!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 AM

I found the fold out design wall at Nancy's Notions on sale. It works great, once you get the poles inserted, it goes together very fast. The poles have an elastic going through them, so you just straigten out the pole and it is together. It comes in a carry case so it is easy to take to class or retreat.
D in TX
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 AM

I did the same ... only used 2 panels of 4x8 ft insulation material. A friend helped me hinge the two panels together with duct tape. We used commercial spray adhesive from Office Max to adhere the warm & natural batting. Then I duct taped the batting on the back for more security.

My design wall is folded behine a large bookcase in my living room ... with a beautiful mola covering it ... and it is now also a design feature in my LR.

It is easy to access and use. Once I have my blocks just as I want them ... I take a picture ... then take off the blocks in order and pin the rows together labeled.

It is fun to be creative.
alice

alice
Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 AM

I used a plastic tablecloth that was flannel backed. I bought it several years ago at a fall clearance sale for 75 cents.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Hello, you had so many good ideas. but if you can bear one more idea..
I purchased 1 sheet of foam core. The sheet is 4feet by 8feet. This works for me for now. I do have to use pins to hold the squares. But when I can, I will purchase some off-white flannel to put on top of the foam core. I also plan to by a second sheet. Then the quilting wall will be 8feet by 8feet. The sheet of foam core was under $11 dollars. I am fortunate to have a company by the name of Allied Plastic Supply in my town. But you can do a search in a town near you.