Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
update on my fractured wrist >

update on my fractured wrist

update on my fractured wrist

Old 03-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Well, I went to the dr's for the results of the MRI they took last week of my wrist to determine the extent of the injury. Turns out I fractured it in 2 places, one where the thumb and wrist meet and the other where the growth plate is. Dr said it is unusual to see a fracture in an adult at the growth plate. Yea well.....leave it to me. :roll: Anyway good news is no surgery needed, tendons and ligamets are in good shape. Only 2 more weeks in the hard cast then into a brace for 2 more weeks. The first cast covered my thumb but he changed my cast to one that leaves my thumb free---yea. I asked him if I could use it and his response to me was "No Myna it is still broken." Duh, can't blame me for trying, I wanna sew!!!! But I can atleast touch my fingers to my thumb now which will make a few things easier for the next two weeks. :)

yippie I'm free says my thumb LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27326[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-27326.jpe   attachment-27327.jpe   attachment-27328.jpe  
Old 03-02-2010, 02:46 PM

Glad that you didn't need surgery!! I hope you heal fast and get back to sewing!! My Dr. keeps telling me I heal slowly!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Yippee!!
And the cast is such a pretty color!!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad you don't need surgery. Get better fast.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 PM

Myna, You're not the only adult that fractured near the growth plate .. LOLOL. About 18 months ago, I fell and of course extended my wrist to break my fall. I ended up breaking the wrist, and wound up with a "T" plate and 10 screws in the wrist. This is the one and only time in my 60 years that I EVER broke a bone .... and I did a real good job. The best part of that experience was the paraffin dip and heat wraps that were part of the physical therapy. :-)

Hope you heal well and quickly. Hang in there ... you'll be back to quilting in no time.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Power Poster

Glad to hear that you will be back to sewing in a couple of weeks :D:D:D Hmmmmm maybe you could draw patchwork designs on that pretty cast??? :D:D:D
Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
Myna, You're not the only adult that fractured near the growth plate .. LOLOL. About 18 months ago, I fell and of course extended my wrist to break my fall. I ended up breaking the wrist, and wound up with a "T" plate and 10 screws in the wrist. This is the one and only time in my 60 years that I EVER broke a bone .... and I did a real good job. The best part of that experience was the paraffin dip and heat wraps that were part of the physical therapy. :-)

Hope you heal well and quickly. Hang in there ... you'll be back to quilting in no time.
Oh wow, that was a really bad one. I am just thankfull it was not any worse than it is. This is also my first time breaking any bones and in a cast. First time in 54 years not a bad deal i guess. LOL. I have had those paraffin dips before and they are wonderful, feels good on my poor arthritic fingers. :) Well, they do have arthritis in them but it is not super bad yet, does not keep me from quilting yet so thats a good thing. :)
Old 03-03-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Glad to hear that you will be back to sewing in a couple of weeks :D:D:D Hmmmmm maybe you could draw patchwork designs on that pretty cast??? :D:D:D
Oh wow Amma had not thought of pathwork on the cast. But being left handed I would have to find someone else to do that for me. Hmmm.........I just may know someone :thumbup:
Old 03-03-2010, 06:30 AM

I only ever broke 2 bones...both in the wrist at the same time....its a good thing I wasn't quilting at that time....I was a long time and the PT was horrible....... see now you smile...it will be all better soon. :-D