My very own featherweight!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 02:10 PM

Well can you believe it - I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had a featherweight in the attic - which my Sister's Ex husband gave me (it was his Grandma's!) - in 1986 (ish!)

My Husband went up to get something today and bought it down with him!

We took it out of the box and it seemed siezed up - so he carefully turned the flywheel and eventually it seemed free- so we plugged her in and off she went!!! Purred like a kitten!!

The machine is in need of cleaning, greasing and oiling and we need a manual for servicing it, and possly a few spares...

I only have the one standard foot - so I will look around for others - any ideas?

The foot pedal was a bit sticky - so my DH took it apart and we think there may be a spring missing in there (should there be two??)

Anyway - the serial number is AG816819. So I believe it was made around 1941, and as it turned up in England with a Label saying its voltage was converted in September 1960 - I think it must have had an interesting journey to get over here!!!

Can anyone help me out with information - will my ordinary shmetz (SP) needles fit it? Can I use my ordianry machine oil?

Anything I need to know??

My DH is a wonder at mechanical stuff - and he is looking forward to cleaning her up and getting her going properly!!!

We are at a big Country Fair tomorrow - but I will post pictures on Monday!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Pam

Billy just started a thread on here about tearing the machine apart, look for it for your hubby, it is very detailed on the dismanteling of the machine. I am sure it is going to be invaluable.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Pam

Your regular neeldes and oil will work just fine, check your manual to see how the needle goes in, many a trip has been taken to the repair shop for a backwards needle!!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
Billy just started a thread on here about tearing the machine apart, look for it for your hubby, it is very detailed on the dismanteling of the machine. I am sure it is going to be invaluable.
Any advise on how to search for this thread - I took a look to see if I could spot one and couldn't???
Old 05-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Becca, go to the Virtual Section on the Forums page for the threads on cleaning and servicing!

Any 15x1 needle will fit your FW...the needle SHOULD go in with the flat of the needle to the left. You can use your regular machine oil on it, and be SUPER frugal on oiling the motor....more than one motor has bit the dust because of over-zealous oiling! ;)

Here's the website that has the manual for your machine (your model is a 221) ...and the attachments are an easy find on ebay! :)

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html
Old 05-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Congratulations on remembering it...I did the same thing recently. My hubby's grandmothers FW sat in the basement for the last 15 years. After attending a quilt class and seeing other ladies using their machines...I thought GEESH I have one of those.

I uncovered her - wiped gently and oiled it up and she purrs so quietly.

There's lots of site about the 221s - good luck!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 PM

Billy's thread is under this heading. http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013

I gave you the main link as there are tutorials to help you clean and wire your machine if necessary.

Just in case that link doesn't work as I have added it to my virtual section, and you probably haven't, try this one: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm but go under his profile to see his tutorials.

Also, about the Schmetz needles, I would ask Billy, the wiz. When I called Singer before I knew that Billy existed on this board, they told me NOT to use Schmetz as they were too long for the Singer machines.

I would go with whatever Billy says as he deals with this all the time, and who knows how much knowledge the clerk on the Singer website actually had.

Congratulations on your featherweight, I would love one of them.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Oh, congrats! I would love to get one someday, too, they are so pretty!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Congrats on your new baby. Post a pic when you have time. We would love to see her.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:36 PM

So happy for you. Enjoy and treat her well.