Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NeedPatternForWheelchairBagToHoldOxygenTank >

NeedPatternForWheelchairBagToHoldOxygenTank

NeedPatternForWheelchairBagToHoldOxygenTank

Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 AM

I am looking for a pattern for a bag to hang on the back of my mom's wheelchair to hold her oxygen tank. She doesn't need the bag at home but when we take her out she has to do a portable tank that just never stays hanging over the handles on the chair. It's dragging on the wheels or it's slipping down the back of the chair and trying to drag on the floor if we aren't holding on to the strap. I've been thinking about making her one that is also a liner for the chair so the weight of the tank doesn't drag the bag down...her weight in the seat of the chair will help hold it in place but haven't figured it out yet. Thought maybe some of you had seen such a project somewhere or that you've made one that you would be willing to share the pattern. I've re-invented many wheels but I'm older now and not as creative as I used to be. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
bkb

Is the tank rectangular or is it round? if it is hung on the wheelchair handles it will hit her in the back .Is there a way to put an IV pole on the chair?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:18 PM

What about doing a long rectangular piece that goes from the front of the chair and up the back and then add on the length you need for the tank and double that so you could bring it back up to the top of the chair and then sew the channel for the tank to sit in. ? I don't think the tank would take up the whole back piece, so you might even be able to make a couple of pockets to store some stuff in.

Can you visualize what I'm talking about?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
What about doing a long rectangular piece that goes from the front of the chair and up the back and then add on the length you need for the tank and double that so you could bring it back up to the top of the chair and then sew the channel for the tank to sit in. ? I don't think the tank would take up the whole back piece, so you might even be able to make a couple of pockets to store some stuff in.

Can you visualize what I'm talking about?
For instance, take a look at these for sale , they seem as though they would be easy to make.

A single holder = http://compare.ebay.com/like/3003548...PriceItemTypes

A dual holder =
http://www.allegromedical.com/wheelc...0bb67951ad14ea
Old 05-17-2010, 04:25 PM

My mom has both the big long tank and the smaller tanks. I was interested in making a pouch for the smaller tank and the websites on E-Bay is exactly what I had in mind. Thank you guys, I'll be looking at these and rep licating them. I sure appreciate the 3 of you answering my SOS for this handy little pouch. The chair does not have an IV holder and I've called around to see where to get the metal oxygen holders but was quoted a unbelievable amount of money for making and installing one so decided i could try to make one with ,my sewing machine. Thanks again.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Banned

sorry I cant help. God bless. Penny