Gophers

Old 07-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Banned

Actually mine is a California ground squirrel. But he/she must truly be a "messiah" gopher because it keep coming back from the dead. Either that or one of its friends found out I had a vacancy. I don't understand it. The blasted things have the whole National Forest to tunnel in. Why under my water storage tank and outside water facet. Neither one has a leak so I don't think it is water related.

Anyone with some home remedies.................
Old 07-09-2010, 08:44 AM

I've put out Original Scent Irish Springs to keep the deer away and it worked. You leave it in its box and just place out. Do you happen to have a Fish and Game Dept that you could call to find out what remedies they recommend? That's what I had to do for the deers.

Hey what about putting cayenne pepper around the holes?
Old 07-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Banned

now this sounds crazy and I don't know if it works but I think if you find both entrances and have 1 person with a hose at one end and soemone else out theother you could flood the critter out and seal up it home. The one with this hose sticks it down the holw and the person at the other end makes sure it come out. Their pants should be tucked in their pants so a gopher doesn't run up their leg. The you dump hot crushed red papper down both holes. Now they might just move to another spot. If you want then dead take juicy fruit gum and using gloves YOU NEED THE GLOVES so the gum doesn't have your scent. Put lots of gum down the hole and little gopher will eat in and perish to the world of Caddyshake.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Fascinating. What is it with Juicy Fruit gum that kills them?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I heard that they cannot process the gum and it kills them...
Old 07-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

Moth balls!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 07-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Someone said throwing used cat litter down the holes would work! LOL, good way to recycle that, huh?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Eeeewwww. Used cat litter is nasty stuff. Someone needs to meet our litterbox. Sassy "bombs" are infamous around here. I think it would qualify as toxic waste. Which reminds me, I need to go buy more litter. I'm out.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Administrator

i'm curious ... what harm is it doing? (that isn't a snippy question. i was just wondering if the situation made it absolutely necessary to send it packing immediately.)

there may be babies in its den.

if you chase it off they will starve to death.

if you kill it, you'll kill them, too.

:shock:

there must be a better way.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trupeach1
now this sounds crazy and I don't know if it works but I think if you find both entrances and have 1 person with a hose at one end and someone else out the other you could flood the critter out and seal up it home.
I like Jerry Clowers version of this........

You take that Model A Ford sittin' over there and you crank it up hook a hose to the zhaust pipe and you put the other end into the hole. The them Gopher things will guff up them fumes and then the will come out a runnin'. Then you take a stick and you wackem' in their head!! Nothin' is more entertaining that hitting a bunch of sick gophers as they are trying to run off!

Billy