Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
keeping track of stitches >

keeping track of stitches

keeping track of stitches

Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 AM

Every now and then I try to follow through on things that the bulk of the really great quilters follow up with. The other evening I was working on finishing a tablerunner and I was using a particular stitch design and size. I had to stop in the middle of the project. And the thought hit me that if I had to stop for a while and turn the machine off, I'd lose the inf. on this particular machine. Light bulb went off. I always keep an small pad and pen close by. I was able to jot down the information and shut down. At a much later time I just checked my note reset it and I was off.. crossed info off list .. The same on my other machine, especially if I am doing several different things. I always keep a pad and pad and pencil so I can jot down where I left off. Since I cannot stay at the machine or the irong board for very long, it's easy for me to make accomodations for my situation. Ironing board adjusted to sit position, sometimes a very low foot stool for the left foot (broken way to many times) and other small items to keep me from having to do a lot of getting up time and again. For those who are still trying to find their comfort zone within the quilting space, make it comofrtable for your needs first, try to keep a note pad for marking where you are as I do, and you can also jot down notes that you won't remember later. Like, I need certain size machine needles. Starting out you don't always have those extras that mount up and you can get in a jam quickly. I sometimes pin the layout pattern on my cork board by my machine and I will also use colored pencils to mark the fabrics on the paper to match the color of what I am using. Time to rest so I can have time to quilt later..
Old 08-05-2010, 09:40 AM

Great tip. Thanks for sharing. I will start doing this now. Had another thought, when choosing which stitch, width, and length to use: make a sample stitch and write the stitch number, width and length next to it on the sample. Then you will know what it will look like.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 AM

I keep a small notebook by my machine too, started years ago when I began to do applique - needed to remember those stitch lengths as you said:) I've moved on to also keeping track of projects that are on-going, name of pattern, finished size, even designer & mfg' name/sku# of my fabrics. It gives me a sense of accomplishment when I can scratch off a project---& even better when I need more fabric & know exactly what I'm looking for!!
Isn't the board a wonderful place to share tips & ideas??!!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 AM

I did that test stitch thing on a sample when I was trying to match the stitch on something and I wrote the stitch setting by each one.

I started jotting them down awhile ago when I was doing a special stitch and about to turn it off and thought, "oh, I'll remember that.." Then I thought... yeah, right. So I wrote it down. :)
Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

What a great idea. I love it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:17 AM

Yes, making notes is important not only for stitch width, length and which one, but also what stitch number in the design when doing ME............just in case the power goes out...........we have brown-outs here and power serges........yikes.......... from time to time............calla/Sue