Why own a Featherweight?

Old 09-16-2010, 05:09 AM

I am sure it is here somewhere, but I can't seem to locate a topic on why a Featherweight is so great. Please explain why they are such a find, and why you love yours....

Thanks....
Old 09-16-2010, 05:12 AM

Small, light weight, easy to use, cute :), a piece of history, they sew a straight seam like no other machine I have, (I have 5 sewing machines of varying vintage.) :-D :-D
Old 09-16-2010, 05:14 AM

Because they're cute, a little pricey but still affordable, easily transportable for classes, a bit of a status symbol, and there's just nothing that sounds and feels like sewing on a vintage machine. It's a time machine, taking you back into yesteryear when things were simpler. I sew on a cabinet vintage machine a lot but every now and then I break out the FW. And sometimes it's a "just because" thing.

If you find one in good condition and a reasonable price, get it. You'll understand why once you played with it.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:26 AM

The finest straight seam of any machine, repair yourself, very quiet compared to the big cunputerized machines. Easy to move about only 12 lbs. I sew in front of the TV when the family watches a movie and no one complains.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:32 AM

I learned to sew on Singer from 1954 treadle. It wasn't a FW, but it made the same humming sound and when I use my FW I remember my Grand Mother teaching me to sew. The FW doesn't take up any space and I get the same feeling that I did with the big clunky one.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I love mine for many reasons: the way it sews, the fact that it is a piece of history, sews a perfect stitch, portability, and so darn cute!! It looks like a toy and feels like I'm really "playing". I keep mine downstairs so I can use it whenever and wherever. My big Bernina stays put in my sewing room.
We also love antiques so that was a real draw for me. My hubby wants me to leave it out all the time b/c it's so pretty!! :D
Now I'm looking for a white one ha ha ha
Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 AM

I understand a Featherweight is a "quilter's dream" because of the straight seam, portability, etc. My husband bought me one last year and I was quite surprised! I love it! I am still getting the hang of it but it is in good shape and so cute and pretty! It also brings back plenty of memories of my grandparents and mother's machines, they didn't have Featherweights but had old Singer sewing machines that were full size.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:45 AM

OK...I'd love to have one (who wouldn't??) so what Model do I look for and are there any particular things I should look for?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Here's my criteria for buying a FW:

Well first off- that it works!!
Intact decals- the detailing is so pretty
Bakelite pedal
Case in good condition
Owners manual and attachments.
No cord rot, etc.
Bobbin case- very important b/c they can be pricey.

Black FW are more common, the white ones were made between 1964-1971 (somewhere around that time. They do not have the decals) but are very nice

The 221 is the most common for both.
The 222 is rare- it comes apart for doing sleeves etc.

Hope this helps! I'm sure others can add to this.
Mine was 212.00 and had all that I mentioned plus had been completely serviced but that was a bonus, I would have bought it anyway. They are easy to maintain!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:15 AM

Thanks Susan!! It sure does help :)