Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Reese's Peanut Butter Cake >

Reese's Peanut Butter Cake

Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 PM

My very sweet husband and his co-workers decided one day that I needed to make them a Reese's Peanut Butter cake, After going crazy surfing the web this is what I did.

1 (18.25 ounce) box chocolate cake mix

Peanut Butter Frosting

The filling would also be excellent as a filling for a cookie.
6 ounces room temp Philadelphia cream cheese
1 cup smooth/creamy peanut butter- preferably Skippy. Do not use natural peanut butter because it will separate.
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons heavy cream
Cream the cream cheese and peanut butter on high for 2-3 minutes or until combined. add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, salt and cream and mix well. use immediately. if the mixture is too soft, add more powdered sugar. if the mixture is too hard, add more cream.
Chocolate Ganache
The corn syrup can be omitted if need be, but it really does add a nice gloss to the final product.
16 ounces semi sweet peanut butter chips
1/3 cup clear/light corn syrup
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 tsp salt
In a heavy sauce pan, bring the cream to a simmer, being careful not to scorch the cream. add the corn syrup, salt and chocolate and let sit for 5-6 minutes. stir well, and strain if needed. let the mixture sit in your fridge for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally until the mixture is thickened, but pourable.
Decoration
Unwrap and freeze 12 Reese's Peanut butter cups (substitutions are not recommended) in a large plastic zip top bag. Once frozen, smash the pb cups with a mallet or the bottom of a large mug until you have tiny chunks. Place back in the freezer until you are ready to use.

Assemble the cake
Using a large serrated knife, cut the top off the cake, making it flat. Cut the cake through the middle, creating 2 even layers. Using the middle of the cake as the bottom, and the bottom (flattest side) of the cake as the top, generously top one layer ("the ugly layer") of the cake with the peanut butter frosting, and place the 2nd layer on top using the bottom of the cake as the top of the cake (the smooth un-cut side). Using that peanut butter frosting you have left, smooth out the sides of the cake, filling holes or gaps that may exist for smooth sides. Once you have smoothed the sides, let the cake rest in the fridge for 2 hours. This may seem like a long time, but it is absolutely necessary. Keep the ganache on the counter so it remains pourable. Move the refrigerated cake onto a wire baking rack that is placed on top of a jelly roll/cookie pan.
Pour the ganache slowly over the center of the cake, using an off set spatula to guide the ganache to the sides, and patch holes as needed. If the ganache seems too runny, place the ganache and the cake back in the fridge for another hour, and try again, whisking the ganache vigorously after refrigeration to remove any lumps. Working slowly, use all the ganache, place the cake back in the fridge for 20 minutes. Using the palm of your hand,
Move the refrigerated cake onto a wire baking rack that is placed on top of a jelly roll/cookie pan.
Pour the ganache slowly over the center of the cake, using an off set spatula to guide the ganache to the sides, and patch holes as needed. If the ganache seems too runny, place the ganache and the cake back in the fridge for another hour, and try again, whisking the ganache vigorously after refrigeration to remove any lumps. Working slowly, use all the ganache, place the cake back in the fridge for 20 minutes. Using the palm of your hand, press the Reese's cup peices into the sides of the cake, working quickly and being careful to avoid the top. Refrigerate for another 4 hours, and serve to your drooling guests.

Yes they loved it and some wanted the recipe for their wives. Needles to say it took me all night, and no he hasn't offered and more ideas
Old 10-05-2010, 01:59 PM

boy does that sound yummy!!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:10 PM

That does sound yummy. Chocolate and peanut butter is one of my favorite things. You noticed that I consider chocolate and peanut butter as one thing. Even though there are two things, they were made for each other.

Did you make this recipe, you know, kind of like your own pattern?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

YUM!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the recipe
Old 10-06-2010, 05:17 AM

Yummy!!!! That sounds great.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:53 PM

You are killing me here........................ nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for sharing this with us :D:D:D
Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
That does sound yummy. Chocolate and peanut butter is one of my favorite things. You noticed that I consider chocolate and peanut butter as one thing. Even though there are two things, they were made for each other.

Did you make this recipe, you know, kind of like your own pattern?
No I took things from different sites, and by what the guys wanted. http://theforgetfulchef.blogspot.com...aven-cake.html
http://www.recipesecrets.net/blog/re...t-butter-cake/
http://recipecircus.com/recipes/Beck...away_Cake.html
http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/40605/...ut-Butter-Cake
Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Yummy! I love peanut butter and chocolate,looking forward to making this one. Thanks for sharing.:)