Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Blankets for Quilts >

Wool Blankets for Quilts

Wool Blankets for Quilts

Old 10-16-2010, 03:31 AM

I have looked everywhere and I know this subject has been brought up many times. I have a least 5 brand new military wool blankets and want to make quilts out of them. I believe I read where you just make a top and add backing to them and then tie them and you have a great warm quilt. Is this how it's done? Do you do any type top you want or a fairly simple one as it will be tied and not quilted?

Apologize for bringing the subject up again and thanks so much for any ideas to accomplish this.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

Dont apolgize, we LOVE talking quilts!!!!!!!!!!!! Fun for us, so PLEASE ask away!!!!!!!
I have never used wool blankets, but my Ex MIL was a thrifty queen, and she reused everything. I remember her using wool blankets, but I dont know if she tied them, I believe she machine quilted them.
They will be VERY warm, and wont be itchy at all, because of the layers.........Goodluck!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

start with washing them! in hot water, mild detergent. cold rinse; throw into dryer (regular heat) when dry you can 'steam press' then your wool blankets are ready for any use you want. you can cut them up and use them for patch work; you can cut them up and use them for applique; you can use them as batting in your regular (or flannel) quilts. wool is wonderful to work with and makes very nice warm quilts. i have done a couple wool appliqued quilts, i applique onto good quality double sided benartex flannel. i also made a wool quilt top using a good flannel for the backing and a dream wool batting. using wool really increases the 'value' of your quilt too.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:44 AM

My Grma made quilts with gray wool blankets for batting.She simply made what would be called a duvet.....like a large pillow case,turned it right side out (called "birthing" in quilt speak) inserted blanket,then tied it all over & sewed opening closed. She had lots of feed sacks she'd washed & ironed (they had a farm)...sewn together for the quilt top & usually flannel or sheets for backing.About as simple/plain as you could get.

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
I have looked everywhere and I know this subject has been brought up many times. I have a least 5 brand new military wool blankets and want to make quilts out of them. I believe I read where you just make a top and add backing to them and then tie them and you have a great warm quilt. Is this how it's done? Do you do any type top you want or a fairly simple one as it will be tied and not quilted?

Apologize for bringing the subject up again and thanks so much for any ideas to accomplish this.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I have wool that I will use for batting. Never thought using them for a quilt top or backing, seems they would be too itchy. I will try to machine quilt but if that doesn't work then I will tie them.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:41 AM

Cleaning out Mom's house , I found several wool blankets. One was one of the red, yellow and black stripe ones that are really expensive, a couple army blankets, and a couple solid colored ones. Because I thought they felt scratchy, and I thought they would have to be dry cleaned, *I tossed them all. Shows how dumb a person can be! Now I could kick my a$$$! Oh, there was another patchwork wool blanket that was really old, it was tied.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Banned

My Mom did this with our old wool military issue blankets. She didnt quilt them but tied them and they have lasted for about 40 years.

I think that the blanket is too thick for quilting. I suggest tieing them. Also, I would wash them first to insure to shrinking after you have put the quilt together.

Judy
Old 10-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltmaker

brilliant, works well and warm too.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:27 PM

I just finished a wool quilt. Used new wool fabrics, not blankets. Made the top and backing in wool fabs and hand appliqued 3 large flowers using cotton fabrics. Hand quilted it and used cotton batting. The temperatures here in PA are creeping down and I can tell you that I was really toasty warm while I was working on the quilt. It's 55 x 68. Here's a small image of it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-129721.jpe  
Old 11-19-2010, 04:32 PM

Beautiful quilt! Lovely applique.