Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts hung in Indirect Light  - Question >

Quilts hung in Indirect Light - Question

Quilts hung in Indirect Light - Question

Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM

I recently hung a quilt on a hanger type thing in my living room - the sun does not shine directly through the window (at least not this time of the year) but will indirect sunlight fade a quilt? is there anyway to protect a wall quilt from some direct sunlight?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by yolanda
I recently hung a quilt on a hanger type thing in my living room - the sun does not shine directly through the window (at least not this time of the year) but will indirect sunlight fade a quilt? is there anyway to protect a wall quilt from some direct sunlight?
I would think anything made of fabric would fade a certain amount over a period of time. I had fabrics on open shelves in my other house. The window was north facing and the room never got any direct sun. But when I moved and refolded the fabric, a lot of it had faded marks where it had been folded. I would suggest not having it hanging for long periods; maybe rotate some seasonally. I know I have had curtains made out of plain cotton that faded, but they had been at the window a few years, of course being taken down to wash and then rehung.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Yes, indirect sunlight will fade fabrics. Actually, any kind of light will fade fabrics (including flourescent lighting). Dyed fabric has a finite number of light-hours it can tolerate before fading takes place. This varies with the color and dye type, but often is in the neighborhood of 45 hours or so of direct sunlight. It takes longer for the fading to happen in indirect light or artificial light, but it still will take place.

There is a protective spray you can get. Might be worth treating a quilt that is hung, to delay the fading. Sorry, I can't remember what it is called. It's the same kind of treatment used on curtains and furniture fabrics to retard fading. I think it deflects some of the damaging wave lengths.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Yes, it will fade. Had a quilt of mine on a quilt rack in the living room. Not in direct sunlight, south window area. Went to show someone the quilt a week or so ago and the bottom on the back was faded on the border. Made me sick!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

Yep, they will fade, indirect or direct. Direct just speeds up the process.
There is a spray that will protect the fabric and would work really well for wall hangings. Sorry I don't remember the name, but maybe someone else will? :D:D:D
Old 11-08-2010, 02:14 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses! I will search for the spray.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:21 PM

I just had to go through a costly process to remove wallpaper from a room that had drapes & sheer curtains at the window. The wallpaper faded & was darker at the seams.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:36 PM

Low E windows do help, I always have a lap size quilt on the back of my sofa in my west bay window and have had no problems with fading.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:57 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

There is a film purchaseable at Lowes which you can apply to the inside of your windows to block UV rays. It's reasonably easy to install, especially with 2 people, and does not seem to affect the light you want at the window or the view. I used to use it in my studio; haven't thought of it in years, now wish I had some more! Reds and navies seem to be particularly vulnerable to fading, btw.

Jan in VA
Old 11-09-2010, 08:29 AM

I've heard that putting the film on your windows eliminates any warranty that you have on your windows. I would check about that first.

I have used a product called Quiltgard w/U.V Sun Screen fabric protector. I've had it for years. It is acid free. Can't tell you how it works, because I forgot I even had it until this post.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
There is a film purchaseable at Lowes which you can apply to the inside of your windows to block UV rays. It's reasonably easy to install, especially with 2 people, and does not seem to affect the light you want at the window or the view. I used to use it in my studio; haven't thought of it in years, now wish I had some more! Reds and navies seem to be particularly vulnerable to fading, btw.

Jan in VA