Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need your expertise about retreats..... >
  • Need your expertise about retreats.....

• Need your expertise about retreats.....

Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 PM

Greetings - I'm new to this site. I am a new co-leader at a quilting reteat next Oct. Have gone to this retreat for many years and would like to have some input by you quilters as to what you have experienced at various retreats you have gone to. What kind of take-home items were given to you...quilting games...procedures shown...types of unique name tags.. etc., or ideas you would like to experience at a retreat. We would like to make this retreat interesting, unique, and fun, yet get some quilting accomplished besides. Can you help us with your ideas???
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:25 AM
    Power Poster

Hello and welcome from Ontario. Hope you find some ideas here.
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 AM

we have done just about everything you mentioned...one year we did the snap bags, with the ruler. Everyone bought their own 2 FQs...our vendor always has a demo with was good this year...10 minute tablerunner. Other than that can't think what else was new...we always do doorprizes paid for by the guild...
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 AM

Hello from West Virginia and welcome to the group
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-126643.png  
    Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM

Welcome from Kentucky! I've never been to a quilting retreat!
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 PM

My LQS puts together a retreat for us. Nothing fancy but we sure do have fun.

We play strip poker with the dice, two separate games, 3 strips each game. And then the two winners have to play off for the rules. Both persons have to make something out of the strips they win and have it done at the next retreat a year later. The rules make it a challenge, use all the fabrics, you can only add three other fabrics excluding the back, then you have to pick three of the remaining rules: square w/in a square, HST, applique, embroidery, etc. It gets fun cause you don't want to win all that fabric. If you have won in the past you can give it away and my girl friend one again this year. Who needs enemies when you have friends like her. I have 50, 6 x 20 strips all of whimsicals fabric.

We don't do a project just bring what you want to work on. I really like this cause I can do whatever I want to do. The LQS owner gave us great little tape measures this year. Other years she does a goodie bag, one other time it was a cute little note pad.

Not sure if that helps but we sure do have fun!
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 PM

I have been going to one retreat for many years up in the Adirondacks of New York....it is located on a small lake at a Conference center....we go up on a Friday and come home on a Monday.....there is one large sewing room and the rec room we turn into a quilt layer and basting room....it is a short walk to the lodge where all our meals are served ......... boy do they feed us well.....then just another short walk up a hill to our rooms....last year we had two deer that just wouldn't move so we could get by..........even throwing snowballs at them didn't work.......yup..... sometimes at the end of October they have snow on the ground.............there are about 30 of us..........our organizer has a local quilt shop (well one a hour away) bring items up to the location on Saturday.........and boy are we ready to buy........seeing what everyone else is doing stimulates our quilting ideas and needs........we also have a local lady that makes baskets stop by which is a nice break from quilting...........we have a free table where you can bring items to pass on to another quilter........if someone needs help on something the organizer may even make it into a mini demonstration............one year she did a small pumpkin wall hanging..........which would of been nice if she had supplied all the fabric needed........because as you know you can't bring all your fabric...........and you know just what you need is home............
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by catpawski
    I have been going to one retreat for many years up in the Adirondacks of New York....it is located on a small lake at a Conference center....we go up on a Friday and come home on a Monday.....there is one large sewing room and the rec room we turn into a quilt layer and basting room....it is a short walk to the lodge where all our meals are served ......... boy do they feed us well.....then just another short walk up a hill to our rooms....last year we had two deer that just wouldn't move so we could get by..........even throwing snowballs at them didn't work.......yup..... sometimes at the end of October they have snow on the ground.............there are about 30 of us..........our organizer has a local quilt shop (well one a hour away) bring items up to the location on Saturday.........and boy are we ready to buy........seeing what everyone else is doing stimulates our quilting ideas and needs........we also have a local lady that makes baskets stop by which is a nice break from quilting...........we have a free table where you can bring items to pass on to another quilter........if someone needs help on something the organizer may even make it into a mini demonstration............one year she did a small pumpkin wall hanging..........which would of been nice if she had supplied all the fabric needed........because as you know you can't bring all your fabric...........and you know just what you need is home............
    I wanna go to YOUR retreat!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 PM

Just got back from a quilt retreat. Ours runs from Monday thru Sunday! But you can come on which ever day is convenient for you. I normally go Wed-Sun. We play quilt bingo. Each player is suppose to make their own card out of different fabrics at home with 5 rows of fabric just like a bingo card. Then cut an index cards into say 1-1/2" squares with the types of fabrics you used like say "red check" or "blue paisley" on say a 1-1/2" sq. When you get to the retreat, the names of your fabrics get put in a coffee can. Each person that makes a card does this same thing. Then we had quilt bingo for breaks. We'd play say 5 games, with gifts bought by each person attending, then go back to sewing. About every 3 hours play a game of bingo. Or you can even use a regular bingo game. This year we played the gossip game. One person starts a story like "Mary Lou took a purple piece of fabric in a basket over to Lilly's & brought back a lavender tulip" Just something to start the story, each person whispers to their neighbor & the end person tells what the final story winds up. Just goes to show how gossip changes thru the channels of conversation!