Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Poland >

Hello from Poland

Hello from Poland

Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 PM

My name is Becky and I am an American living in Poland. I started doing basic patchwork a few years ago when some people sent me their extra fabric and some of it was quite ugly. I didn't know what to do with it, but had read somewhere that there is no fabric that is too ugly if you cut it into small enough pieces! So, I did that. I cut the fabric up, and make patchwork quilts of out if. It started me on something rather fun.

I've sewn since I was a teenager but have little need for more clothes. Mostly I do charity quilts and give them away to the poor here in our area. It is cold a good part of the year here and many live in substandard housing. I have actually quilted only a few, though--maybe 30 quilts in my lifetime as the charity ones I "tie".

Since the idea of quilting/patchwork is not really Polish, people here are fascinated with the quilts that we give away.

They are mostly poor people and I know from personal experience that often the women don't have many pretty things in their house--sometimes you just need something pretty to brighten up your day. That is kind of what started the whole thing. That, and the fact that people sent me ugly fabric. :)

I have been the blessed recipient of many already cut out squares, etc, so it has sped up the process of the quilt making. One church group gave me about 8 finished quilt tops and I'm finishing them up. A few people have sent me unfinished things (like 12 blocks, for example), and I try to finish them up and make them into quilts.

But I've just recently purchased a Janome 7700 and I can't wait. It should arrive today. I've never had a 'high end' machine before--since the most expensive machine I've had was a $300 Pfaff. Before that was yard sale finds in the states.

I wanted to find a place where I could ask questions and continue to learn and improve my own skills--both in patchwork piecing and in the actual quilting, which I have done, but not so much as it was incredibly difficult to fit the quilts under my other machine.

These are my quilts I'm working on for charity for 2010.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=c064ede77f

last year's quilt pile
[ATTACH=CONFIG]127204[/ATTACH]

one lady who got a quilt in 09
[ATTACH=CONFIG]127205[/ATTACH]

another lady who got a quilt in 09
[ATTACH=CONFIG]127206[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127199.jpe   attachment-127200.jpe   attachment-127201.jpe  
Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Power Poster

Hello Becky, welcome from Idaho!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:39 PM

You are perfect! You already have your quilt inspector, in the first picture! Welcome to the board. This is a great place for help and advice! Just ask away! No question too foolish!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:43 PM

WoW!!! Where in Poland are you? I have relatives near Warsaw and Krakow. I have never been there, but used to help my Gramma get packages ready to send over there back in the day. Bundles actually. We were not allowed to send things in boxes, so everything was wrapped in some kind of heavy muslin. Things were always gone through by the authorities there.
You are amazing doing these quilts....do you need any more donations? I have a lot of fabrics that are cut into squares if this would help. Let me know by PM and we'll see if we can work something out.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:54 PM

Hello and welcome from Germany!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 PM

Welcome from Arkansas! What a mountain of quilts-love what you are doing!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 PM

Hello Becky and welcome from Germany! Wow, what a whole lot of love you put into your quilts. This is so kind of you. Please let me know if I can help in any way, just send PM.
Enjoy your new SM, it will make quilting so much easier.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:20 AM

Wow what a very kind person you are, I bet those quilts will be really well loved!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D

You are so sweet to make and donate all of those beautiful quilts!!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:36 AM

Welcome from Virginia USA