Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have Janome 8050? or 8077? >

Do you have Janome 8050? or 8077?

Do you have Janome 8050? or 8077?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:42 PM

I bought the Janome 8050 last week at Hancock. It is essentially the same as the Janome 8077 so far as I can see.

I am doing just fine sewing with it and like it very well, but I can not seem to get it to quilt with the feed dogs down using the foot with a little clear circle (darning foot?!?!).

Does anyone have this machine and quilt with it successfully?
I had bought the Brother SQ9000 and was really loving it, and it quilted free motion just fine with this foot but the shank that the foot was on was in the machine twisted as a manufacturer defect so I returned it. I bought this Janome 8050 to replace it and actually this is a Brother foot but fits in the machine just fine.

So my question is, does it free motion quilt for anyone else, of is it the foot?

LOL
Tracy
Old 12-01-2010, 06:23 PM

OOh, someone, please help.

I have decided it is not the foot to the Brother because it works just fine. It rests just on the feed dog plate when the foot is lowered. The feed dogs are down. And the darning foot has the little arm that that goes over the screw which makes it hop up and down with the needle. So it works right and fits in just fine.

What happens is that it looks lovely on top but the bottom is a giant jumbled mess of thread. It is not bobbin thread it is spool thread on the bottom. I tried adjusting the tension and the same thing happens.

Any ideas what I should try next or what I'm doing wrong?
Tracy
Old 06-25-2011, 03:25 PM

I know this is very late but I bought the 8050 for myself for Christmas and am very happy with it. I have done free motion on several wall hangings with it so far. Not done anything larger that a baby quilt. I just drop the feet, using the slider switch on the back of the machine. I ordered a open toe foot for a low shank machine and it has worked fine. I did not like the circle on because it was annoying trying to bring the thread thru all the time. I just pull the bobbin thread thru and do a few stitches in place and then put my good rubber garden gloves on and go for it. This machine is good in that you can unplug the pedal and have the machine regulate the speed and use the start/stop button. I do it till I feel like am getting cross eyed to be honest and quit for a while. Hope you didn't give up.

:thumbup:
Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM

ah, Latebloomer, it is a late responder this time! LOL... teehee, anyway, thank you very much for responding. I had forgotten the post. I read it and I do not know what I was doing wrong/!?!?

I have free motion quilted 2 projects since then. I don't remember finding out what my error was! But thank you so much for your time and offer of help. This is a great community
Tracy
Old 06-26-2011, 05:41 PM

You're welcome. I just recently joined so am reading a lot of old posts
Old 06-26-2011, 05:45 PM

I have the 8077. I just recently tried free motion with it. This is my first every free motion attempt. Had a lot of thread under fabric too.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:00 PM

If it pulls a lot of thread under it usually means that you threaded the machine with the presser foot down and there is no upper tension. I learned this this year at eBay of all places I have made the same error many times I am sorry to say. With, the darning foot is not as apparent whether it is up or down especially with so many things to check when fm.

Good Luck!
Melinda
Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Default Almost a year later

and I'm hoping you ladies can tell me which foot you use, and where I should get it. I was using the Distintive foot available on Amazon, but the metal bar keeps it from working correctly. Help?