Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011 >

BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by SulaBug View Post
Hi Nicky..........I think the three of us were all on the same wave length today, as I was working on mine too!! The pattern of the quilt from MCCall's, is called America the Beautiful. It came in 6 parts, of 6 different issues of the McCalls magazine. I only have the last part 6 issue & it is dated November/December 2011, Volume 18 No.6. It is called McCall's Quilting the Best of American Quiting. I hope this is of some help to you. Please be sure to post pictures of your house quilt when it is finished, okay?
Hi Cheryl, thank so much for your response. I will look for the magazines for more inspiration. I am very excited about this quilt, because these blocks were my introduction to paper piecing, which I now love to do. So it will be fun to create some additional blocks to complement it. I will do some 6" x 6" blocks and some 6" x 12" blocks, which seems to be similar to what they did in the magazine, guessing from Candi's photo. I think that using the same fabrics for the additional blocks as the house blocks will really tie it all together. You can bet that I will post pictures!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 PM

Nicky and Sulabug,
Thanks for the kind words.
Nicky, here is a picture of the quilt: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/articles/America
Actually, I planned the quilt row by row, my house blocks were all different sizes, as I didn't try to make them all the same size as I made them, so I would pick a house or two and then make blocks to make it the size I wanted, on to the second, third etc until I ran out of house blocks,lol. I really liked the mountain scene from the magazine, and the bottom "fields" so made those to go in my quilt. Hope this helps you. A lot of math scribbling was involved, lol.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by candi View Post
Nicky and Sulabug,
Thanks for the kind words.
Nicky, here is a picture of the quilt: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/articles/America
Actually, I planned the quilt row by row, my house blocks were all different sizes, as I didn't try to make them all the same size as I made them, so I would pick a house or two and then make blocks to make it the size I wanted, on to the second, third etc until I ran out of house blocks,lol. I really liked the mountain scene from the magazine, and the bottom "fields" so made those to go in my quilt. Hope this helps you. A lot of math scribbling was involved, lol.
Hi Candi, thanks for the link. I have been working on my layout and am getting a little more clarity. My blocks are all 12", and I ended up with 13 of them. Working in Quilt Pro, it became clear that it would be easier with an even number, so I am making 3 more! Here is the first of those: Tipi!

I also have a mountain scene, made from 3 identical 6" blocks from Carol Doak. Oh boy this is STILL so much fun!
Attached Thumbnails extra-block-tipi.jpg  
Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM

Nicky........I love your Teepee pattern, it's wonderful. Would you mind telling me where you got this pattern? I just happen to live in the Yakama Indian Nation, not on the reservation, but pretty close. That would make a great block to go with the rest of mine too. All of my blocks are also 12 1/2" & I need to make a couple more. You are so right, this project is still tons of fun!!