Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Ada From Newfoundland, Canada >

Ada From Newfoundland, Canada

Ada From Newfoundland, Canada

Old 04-18-2007, 06:40 PM

Hi I have being quilting for 5 years and loving it. I have design some of my own quilts. At the present I am working on a applique quilt which will have
different kinds of baskets and vases filled with flowers. I was wondering if you would use the heavy fusbile web that you don't have to stitch down. and what is it called? Love to hear from you.
Ada
Old 04-18-2007, 07:03 PM

You can buy a two sided fuseable to do you applque with, NOt sure if you have a joann fabrics, but that is where I found mine. If that helps any. Or ask your either quilting stores or other places you can get interfacing
Old 04-19-2007, 05:56 AM

I use it quite a bit, but I always machine top stitch after fusing usually with a matching machine embroider thread. Use the lightest weight you can find. It may gum up the needle but it comes off if you just use a piece of tissue with a little alcohol on it and wipe the needle. I usally buy it at a Wal Mart, but lots of sewing, fabric and craft stores carry it.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:50 AM

Ada, I'm with Vicki here - you may get away without stitching a wall hanging, but anything getting repeatedly washed and dried in a machine will eventually come apart if fused only. You would also have to treat the edges with a fray stopping treatment, at least with the products I've used.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:30 AM

Welcome Ada!! Heat and Bond is one of the varieties, but I agree with the other ladies.....you may want the lighter fusible for your project. There is also Steam a Seam, or Stitch Witchery which advertises as a no stitch fusible. If you are going to use it as a quilt you will probably want to stitch nonetheless.You can find it @ www.Hamelsfabrics.com , it is Canada's Largest online quilt shop. (That is their ad) Good luck!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:42 PM

First thing I 'd like to say is WELCOME I know you'll like it here plenty of ideas and help.

I have used the stich witchery a few time. With this you don't have the web behide your applique. It melts and bond the fabric. I agree with the others about stiching the applique if it is going on a quilt to be used.

I'm lazy and cheap I use a kids washable glue stick with my appliques. I run a strip down the center then place and satin stich. The nice part about glue stick is if I place wrong or don't like how it look I can move it.

The other way with the fusbile web once heated in place thats it.

Good luck on whichever way you decide. Hope to see it posted when your done
Old 04-27-2007, 09:45 AM

Welcome and be sure you put up a pic when it's done. I am originally from Canada myself. Ontario but I lost my A a long time ago. Been here many moons. LOL I have an uncle in your neck of the woods in P.E.I. Yes I know it's not Newfie land, LOL but it's on that coast. :D
Old 04-27-2007, 04:06 PM

I will check the next time I go to the store , probly this weekend. I will get back to you when I find out.