Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Accurate 1/4" seams - no costly tools! >

Accurate 1/4" seams - no costly tools!

Accurate 1/4" seams - no costly tools!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here's a trick I've used for years to create perfect 1/4" seams and I sew strips together at warp speed using it!

IF your machine's feed dogs are NOT wider than the regular presser foot you use ----

1. Measure 1/4" to the right of needle strike (Use a piece of graph paper to help determine whether your needle-to-edge-of-foot is 1/4" wide).
2. Line up the glued edge of a small Post-It note (I use the 1.5" x 2" size), sticky side down, parallel to the edge of your presser foot at that 1/4" seam mark. (Like the tape does in other ideas posted.)
3. Use a fat rubber band from celery or broccoli stalks to wrap around your free-arm of the machine to hold the Post-IT in place. (I've found that the metal of any machine's throat plate will NOT allow the Post-IT to stick more than a few seconds.) This rubber band can usually be easily moved out of the way for refilling bobbins or making other than 1/4" seams.
4. A long strip of Scotch tape will also hold down the Post-It if you don't have a rubber band.
5. Align the edges of your strips/blocks with the edge of the Post-It and keep your eye on the front edge of it while piecing, instead of eyeballing the edge of the presser foot or the needle.

It's like this.......When we "drive" our machines with our eyes on the needle or the edge of the presser foot, we are driving like a 90 year old lady who is looking just off the hood (front) of her car to steer...she's got to make lots of tiny adjustments to stay reasonably straight. Looking ahead down the highway (or forward of the needle) makes for much easier driving/sewing corrections.

Jan in VA
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Thank you for sharing, that is a wonderful idea!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Do you have a picture of this
Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks Jan, I think I'll try it.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned

I also need to see the picture.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I am so sorry I have no camera!

Jan in VA
Old 03-23-2011, 03:20 AM
Banned

Something for you to put on your Christmas wish list. :-)
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Here's a trick I've used for years to create perfect 1/4" seams and I sew strips together at warp speed using it!

IF your machine's feed dogs are NOT wider than the regular presser foot you use ----

1. Measure 1/4" to the right of needle strike (Use a piece of graph paper to help determine whether your needle-to-edge-of-foot is 1/4" wide).
2. Line up the glued edge of a small Post-It note (I use the 1.5" x 2" size), sticky side down, parallel to the edge of your presser foot at that 1/4" seam mark. (Like the tape does in other ideas posted.)
3. Use a fat rubber band from celery or broccoli stalks to wrap around your free-arm of the machine to hold the Post-IT in place. (I've found that the metal of any machine's throat plate will NOT allow the Post-IT to stick more than a few seconds.) This rubber band can usually be easily moved out of the way for refilling bobbins or making other than 1/4" seams.
4. A long strip of Scotch tape will also hold down the Post-It if you don't have a rubber band.
5. Align the edges of your strips/blocks with the edge of the Post-It and keep your eye on the front edge of it while piecing, instead of eyeballing the edge of the presser foot or the needle.

It's like this.......When we "drive" our machines with our eyes on the needle or the edge of the presser foot, we are driving like a 90 year old lady who is looking just off the hood (front) of her car to steer...she's got to make lots of tiny adjustments to stay reasonably straight. Looking ahead down the highway (or forward of the needle) makes for much easier driving/sewing corrections.

Jan in VA
i used the "post its" of the mole skin for feet, when i first started quilting, a life saver!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:19 AM

I saved this in my favorites-thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 AM

Thanks!