Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room) >

Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 PM

This is wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to share.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 PM

I'm very impressed!!!!! You have put in a lot of time, I can tell, but it will sure pay off when you pick your fabrics. I, too, have an HH (Handy Hubby)! Aren't they wonderful:D
Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Anne P
I'm very impressed!!!!! You have put in a lot of time, I can tell, but it will sure pay off when you pick your fabrics. I, too, have an HH (Handy Hubby)! Aren't they wonderful:D
You are so right, I did put in a lot of time and it has paid off many times over! It is a visual pleasure and I am able to quickly pick out any fabric for audition instead of rummaging through bins and boxes like I used to. That was a nightmare and so time consuming! I adore my HH too, yup they are wonderful! :-D
Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM

if your cardboard is not acid free, it is going to do two things, one it will attract bugs and two it will leach acids into your fabrics![/quote]

Thank you for this information.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Banned

Just thought I would share this with any of you looking to buy a LOT of Coroplast and don't have a local source -- when looking around online, I try to price everything by how much a 7"x12" board will cost, based on the number of pieces per sheet x the number of sheets plus shipping. (I find that cutting by 12" is easier for me both cutting and math-wise, and 7" just always seems to fit well with what I want to do)

The shipping is always the thing that seems to add a ton to the price, often doubling the price or more. In general, at most of the places I looked online the price per board comes out to between $0.40 - $0.80 once shipping was added in.

The best prices for a 4' x 8' sheet mentioned so far have been between $10 - $17 -- which if you figure can fit about 54 of my 12"x7" boards on that, you're looking at around $0.19 - $0.31 per board -- but that's only if you can pick it up locally (and have a way to cut boards that big!!). Paying for shipping on boards that size is going to significantly increase your price.

Conversely, I have found smaller sheets (18"x24" ) selling for as little as a dollar apiece online -- but then shipping kills you, by adding about 60% on top of your price. So that dollar per sheet is probably fine if you're just buying a few boards, but if you're going to buy a lot, it's cost prohibitive.

The best price I've found so far per board has been here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Coroplast-Co...item414acd3a61

At 100 24" x 18" sheets, figuring you can fit 4 boards of 12"x7" on it, you're looking at 400 boards total. $125 / 400 = $0.31 per board. You also are left with a 4" strip that could be cut into 4 6" x 4" boards for fat quarters per sheet.

Hope this is of some help to people who are looking to buy a lot of coroplast -- when you're shopping around, I encourage to figure out the price per board, AND consider the shipping, to figure out the best deal. And if anyone finds a better source than the above, please share!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Wow that is great ! I'm going to do this too ! I hope !! Your stash is so great to look at and find what you need !! thank you
Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Per Rivka... Great information however many members inquired as to where we got our boards. My Dh cut them on his table saw. When you do that you lose 1/8" due to the blade thickness. So unless you plan on cutting your coroplast with a razor blade you will not get 4- 12" pieces. The cost of my husband doing the labor was very minimal and we wanted to make this service available for those that had no other way of getting them.

Have a fun evening! & happy folding! :D
Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

alaskasunshine, not everyone has a husband with a table saw :) I'm cutting mine with a utility knife, and a couple of older rulers -- so no loss due to blade thickness. I just cut about 30 sheets (120 boards total) in an hour and a half, while watching some TV.

Not trying to say that people shouldn't use your service (and for those that want to avoid sitting here and cutting out boards, they definitely should consider using your service!!), but for those that want to do it themselves, and do it in an affordable fashion, I'm just sharing the information I have.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 PM

The local sign shop wants $25 for a 4 x 25 sheet. Is that a good price? I would have to cut it...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltjoey
The local sign shop wants $25 for a 4 x 25 sheet. Is that a good price? I would have to cut it...
Is that a 4 foot by 25 foot (that seems awfully long!) or 4 foot by 25 inches?

I guess for that price, it's got to be 4' x 25'. Wow, I didn't realize coroplast came in sheets that big. How will you get it home?