Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room) >

Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by rivka
Originally Posted by quiltjoey
The local sign shop wants $25 for a 4 x 25 sheet. Is that a good price? I would have to cut it...
Is that a 4 foot by 25 foot (that seems awfully long!) or 4 foot by 25 inches?

I guess for that price, it's got to be 4' x 25'. Wow, I didn't realize coroplast came in sheets that big. How will you get it home?

I think it is 4' x 25'. They sell the house for sale size but I don' remember what it was. I have have to bring it home in the pickup truck.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Banned

Then yes, that's an excellent price. Here's the math:

4' (48" ) x 25' (300" ) = 14400 sq. inches

Using a 7 x 12 board as your base board size = 84 sq inches

14400 / 84 = 171 total boards in a sheet (very rough estimate; you'll likely have somewhat less depending on how you cut them -- as alaskasunshine pointed out, if you use a tablesaw you will lose some width due to the blade. If you choose to go wider than 7" then that will also affect the number of total boards as well)

$25 / 171 = $0.15 per board.

That's the cheapest yet -- and shows how if you can buy locally, and have the resources to cut sheets of that size, then you can definitely do this very inexpensively!

Sorry if all this talk of price per board is boring to anyone :) I'm a programmer, so I just have to break everything down as logically and mathematically as possible ;)
Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 AM

Home depot on line has coroplastic for 10 4x8' sheets for like a hundred and ten dollars or so. I didn't find out the shipping though. However i am goind to see how much to special order the sheets to be delivered to their store. So, I can pick it up there.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey
The local sign shop wants $25 for a 4 x 25 sheet. Is that a good price? I would have to cut it...
Yes your price is wonderful! If you ask a sales person to sub cut it once to make it easier to transport that should work out great!
Have fun and enjoy the process. It is so exciting to see what you come up with and when you quilt and need a specific fabric it is so much quicker to go righ to your shelf and audition you choices.
Happy folding!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by rivka
alaskasunshine, not everyone has a husband with a table saw :) I'm cutting mine with a utility knife, and a couple of older rulers -- so no loss due to blade thickness. I just cut about 30 sheets (120 boards total) in an hour and a half, while watching some TV.

Not trying to say that people shouldn't use your service (and for those that want to avoid sitting here and cutting out boards, they definitely should consider using your service!!), but for those that want to do it themselves, and do it in an affordable fashion, I'm just sharing the information I have.

Thanks so much for all your interest in this thread and for helping with the math
:shock: Have you used the coroplast for your fabric organizing? We'd love to see pix of your labor.
Have fun and happy folding! :D
Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
Home depot on line has coroplastic for 10 4x8' sheets for like a hundred and ten dollars or so. I didn't find out the shipping though. However i am goind to see how much to special order the sheets to be delivered to their store. So, I can pick it up there.
Home Depot is really helpful in special ordering. You might want to check your local sign shops and ask if you can order the coroplast by the large sheets. I paid $18.00 for a 4x8 sheet. I bought 5 at a time. The little bolts go really fast once you get folding. Have fun and enjoy the process! :thumbup: :D
Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM

What kind of clips or fasteners do you used to hold the fabric ends to the bolt when you have folded the fabric?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by IowaStitcher
What kind of clips or fasteners do you used to hold the fabric ends to the bolt when you have folded the fabric?
they are called Bolt Buddies and I got them from a friend. You might check online for them. I also used straight pins. I hope this helps! :-D
Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Thank you very much Alaskasunshine for sharing this tutorial with us. You have done a WONDERFUL job sharing all this information with us. So very nice of your dh to do this, I am very thankful to have a dh that will do the same for me! We r so very blessed to have such wonderful dh! I just got my dh a new tablesaw for Christmas so now I will have to have him cut my coroplast for me. Better yet I will have him teach me to do the cutting.
I want to say congratulations on the Mayor's 1/2 Marathon. YOU GO GIRL!!! Blessing from Maine
Old 01-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Just finished reading this site..can`t wait till tomorrow to go shopping for the coroplast..and get started in organizing my fabric..I have it on shelves,totes,closet, and attic..it will take me the rest of the yr. to do it..thanks Alaskasunshine for your tutorial and getting me started..Kathleen