Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic FMQ Designs

Blog Entries

Basic FMQ Designs

Here are some pictures of practice sandwiches I did to use as teaching samples with m 4-H group. This is not exactly a tutorial, but I didn't think it really fit anywhere else, and hopefully some will find it useful. Our group of 4-H'rs got together yesterday and they had a blast trying out different designs. I thought you all might be interested in seeing what you can do with a few simple shapes.

For each shape I'm showing a closeup and then a larger view of the whole sample piece.

Lines
    Name:  Lines1.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  Lines2.jpg
Views: 2391
Size:  41.7 KB

Loops
    Name:  Loops1.jpg
Views: 2395
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  Loop2.jpg
Views: 2394
Size:  62.0 KB

Hooks
    Name:  Hooks1.jpg
Views: 2383
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  Hooks2.jpg
Views: 2388
Size:  50.1 KB

Arcs
    Name:  Arcs1.jpg
Views: 2378
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  Arcs2.jpg
Size:  56.7 KB

"S" Shapes
    Name:  S-1.jpg
Views: 2372
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  S-2.jpg
Size:  38.8 KB
    Wendy

Power Poster
    ​Nice designs.

Blog Entries
    Great idea and thanks for sharing. Is this done on a domestic machine rather than a long arm?

As a dyed in the wool ex-4-Her, thanks for sharing your talent with them as well. I have an idea for their samples. With fabric extensions and a row of pockets they could turn it into a sewing machine mat similar to this one I made for my GD.

Sewing Machine Mat for 8 yo GD

It would provide a usable record as to where they started from, too.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Yes, we are doing all of our quilting on domestic machines; they are using a variety of domestic machines from Singers to Pfaffs. It is my intention to teach them skills that can use with what they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Great idea and thanks for sharing. Is this done on a domestic machine rather than a long arm?

As a dyed in the wool ex-4-Her, thanks for sharing your talent with them as well. I have an idea for their samples. With fabric extensions and a row of pockets they could turn it into a sewing machine mat similar to this one I made for my GD.

Sewing Machine Mat for 8 yo GD

It would provide a usable record as to where they started from, too.
    Wendy

fabulous teaching tool you have created. i also think it is perfectly placed here under tutorials. i have liked leah day idea of practice blocks then join together into a "sampler" quilt of quilt motifs. but i think i like this idea vetter. i have done fmq on domestic machine off & on for many many years. always do a practice piece before working on a quilt. this large area would give better warm up/practice before embarking on a quilting project. the use of a large quilt sandwich like this is more "true to life" than individual blocks. handling of the large quilt body, or even a wall hanging, is one of the more difficult aspects of fmq on domestic to learn. what a great idea you have here!! so glad you posted ....thank you!
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Love the designs, thanks for sharing
    A balanced quilter is one with a project on each finger
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Nobody is completely useless, you can always serve as a bad example

What fun! The 4-H kids are going to enjoy this.

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Wendy. Beautiful work also.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

If I were not too old I would join your 4-H class. Great FMQ designs.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    I use pieces at least this size to warm up on before quilting on a "real" project too. Often I draw the piecing on my muslin sandwich so I can see how the designs "fit" and make sure they look OK when I stitch them. (Sometimes something is lost in the translation between what it looks like in my head and what it looks like in thread.!)
    Quote Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
    fabulous teaching tool you have created. i also think it is perfectly placed here under tutorials. i have liked leah day idea of practice blocks then join together into a "sampler" quilt of quilt motifs. but i think i like this idea vetter. i have done fmq on domestic machine off & on for many many years. always do a practice piece before working on a quilt. this large area would give better warm up/practice before embarking on a quilting project. the use of a large quilt sandwich like this is more "true to life" than individual blocks. handling of the large quilt body, or even a wall hanging, is one of the more difficult aspects of fmq on domestic to learn. what a great idea you have here!! so glad you posted ....thank you!
    Wendy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast