Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batik 'Monet' Purse Tutorial

Batik 'Monet' Purse Tutorial

You can of course use any fabric, I just stayed with the same name as the purse I posted in Pictures (even though I did use another fabric for this tutorial). I hope it doesn't seem complicated, I tried to make it detailed, hopefully I haven't made it unnecessarily complex. It is long though so I may have to break it into two posts.
    ---
    Materials:

2 fat quarters or half yard for exterior
    2 fat quarters or half yard for lining
    About 1/2 yard muslin
    About 1/2 yard of high loft poly batting
    Large button

Piece measurements for Exterior and Lining:

Body: 16 1/2" L x 10" W
    Sides (2): 6" L x 4 1/2" W at bottom, 3 3/4" W at top
    Flap: 9" L x 10" W (including 1 1/2" curve from end of straight sides to top)
    Pocket: 5" L x 10 1/4" W
    Button Closure (lining fabric): 5" L x 1 1/4" W
    Strap: Outer fabric - 34" L x 2" W, Lining fabric - 34" L x 1 1/2 W, Batting - 34" L x 2" W

Use larger pieces of muslin and batting for body, sides and flap as you would in typical quilting, extending an inch or two from fabric edges.

Pocket batting piece should be scant 1/2" narrower than pocket fabric pieces (as you will slide batting inside once top and bottom seams are sewn). Allow batting to extend out on either short side about an inch as for typical quilting.

Making Pattern:

The body of the exterior and lining are simply rectangles 16 1/2" L x 10" W, you probably don't need a pattern piece for this, cut on your mat with ruler. The other pieces can be cut from printing paper or any other clean sheet of paper. The Flap has a curve at the top that extends up 1 1/2" from where the side goes into the curve (see picture). Cut a piece of paper 9" x 10", fold in half lengthwise, mark 7 1/2" on the long side, draw or cut a smooth curve to the fold. The side pieces are narrower at top than bottom, cut a rectangle of 6" x 4 1/2", fold in half lengthwise, on one end measure 1 7/8 (the little line just before the 2 inch mark on most rulers), draw a line from bottom edge to mark, cut, unfold and check to see that the top is 3 3/4 inches wide, bottom should remain at 4 1/2" wide (and the sides are 6" L. The pocket is another rectangle of 10 1/4" L x 5" W, button closure (of lining fabric only) is 5" L x 1 1/4" W. I don't make a pattern piece for the strap, if you're working with fat quarters, cut two 2" pieces on the 18" L side, sew together and trim to 34" L, do the same for the lining fabric except 1 1/2" W and 34" L. Here's a pic of my pattern pieces on fabric so you get a visual idea of them and the layout I usually use with fat quarters:

And with yardage:

Construction

Button closure:

Press closure (lining) fabric in half lengthwise, unfold and press while aligning long edges with center press line, fold in half lengthwise, press and pin, sew down long seam, topstitch the other (fold) side. With closure looped, check against button to be sure closure loop isn't too large, pin ends together where it needs to meet flap seam so it fits over button but not too loosely.

Exterior:

Sandwich body with batting and muslin (I use spray basting to hold layers together), along top and bottom edges with ruler and chalk mark every 1", quilt wavy or straight lines from bottom to top marks. Fill in sides an inch apart if wavy, sew down side fabric edges if straight lines. Repeat with flap. I use two layers of poly batting for the sides for extra sturdiness but you can use one layer if desired. Quilt sides, repeat as with body on side edges. Trim and square up all pieces as necessary. Trim bottom (raw edge) of flap to 8 1/2" L from top center of flap to raw edge. If you like a shorter flap, trim a bit more, in batik purse it measures 8" from sewn seam to top center.
    Once exterior body, flap and side pieces are quilted, lay pieces on lining fabric and trim lining as necessary to same sizes.

Place side pieces with bottom edges at the raw edge of body in center of body, right sides together, measure from side piece corner end to body end on both sides to center sides, pin and sew 1/4" seam on side piece bottom, leaving a scant 1/4" unsewn at beginning and end of seams, backstitching at each end. Matching top raw edges pin and sew seams along each side, easing in the body corners (or clip body almost to seam at side fabric corner to help it lie flatter) and sewing just inside the bottom seams. Once all four side seams are sewn, trim top edges to even up if necessary. Turn exterior right side out.

Flap:

Fold flap lining in half lengthwise, mark midpoint at top, place exterior and lining fabrics right sides together, place pinned/looped closure between exterior and lining fabric with closure's raw edges just outside fabric raw edges, pin so closure ends remain crossed over (remove previous pin on closure), sew flap together around outer edge with 1/4" seam, leaving bottom raw edges unsewn, clip curve along top and trim seam, turn right side out, press lining side.

Quilted pieces and closure:

Blog Entries
    This looks like a fun purse to make. Thanks for the detailed tutorial! People like you make the QB an even better place!
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Lining

Pocket:
    With exterior and lining fabrics right sides together, sew pocket pieces together at long bottom and top with scant 1/4" seams, turn right side out, press, slide batting inside pocket, smoothing it flat, mark ends and quilt with wavy or straight lines from side to side. Edge stitch along top of pocket.

Pin pocket piece to lining body 1 1/8" from lining top raw edge, with exterior fabric against lining, sew seam across just inside pocket bottom seam, leaving pocket sides pinned to lining body for now. You can also sew a seam down the center of pocket if you'd like two small pockets, backstitching at top for extra strength.

Sew lining pieces together; repeat centering side pieces as with exterior and right sides together, pin and sew scant 1/2" seam along bottom, leaving a scant 1/2" unsewn at beginning and end of seams. Match top edges of side and body, pin (removing the pins holding pocket to body sides) and sew seams along each side, backstitching at pocket top for extra strength. Sew remaining sides to body.

Pocket sewn alsong bottom edge, side pieces centered and pinned at bottoms:

Bottom seam sewn, side pinned:

Clip corners and trim pocket fabric/batting ends even with body/side fabric. Do not turn lining right side out. Place lining inside quilted exterior, pin to bottom at all four corners, pin at top, matching side seams, if lining is too loose, pin lining seams to fit, remove and sew lining seams at pins (I use a high loft batting and have had to take in lining seams to get a smooth fit). Once lining fits interior to your satisfaction, trim top of lining even with exterior, then remove and set aside for now.

Lining in exterior:

Lining trimmed (other pieces finished):

Strap:

With fabric right sides together (lining fabric on top, batting on bottom and exterior fabric in between), line all three up along the right long side, sew 1/4" seam down length.

For second side, to aid in turning strap right side out, place a long flat cord that is longer than the strap length (I use a length of narrow bias binding) inside against sewn seam between exterior and lining fabrics, pull lining fabric over to meet exterior fabric/batting edge and sew across cord/binding strip through all layers to hold cord in place, cut thread.

Sew the long seam, keeping the lining fabric against the raw edge of exterior fabric/batting (and being sure not to sew the cord/binding strip into the seam or to stretch the lining fabric downward while keeping it against the raw edge/batting). Once sewn, push top edge to the inside (a chopstick placed against short seam where binding strip is sewn down helps to push it to inside) while pulling on cord/binding strip at bottom, pull cord while holding near end of strap until strap is turned right side out. Unsew stitches holding cord/binding strip and remove cord. Press strap so that lining is centered on top with exterior fabric showing along edges, SITD on top on both sides of lining/exterior fabric seam.

Assembly

With exterior fabric sides together, pin flap to back of body, aligning raw edges and with flap between back side seams. Pin strap ends to the centers of each sides, with the narrow lining fabric against the exterior body fabric and raw edges of strap and purse body even (being sure there's no twist in the strap). You can baste these pieces in place if desired, 1/8" from raw edges. Place exterior into the lining with right sides of exterior and lining together (and with pocket either at the front or back, as you prefer), match up side seams and top raw edges and pin, moving the flap and strap pins to the outside if you didn't baste.

All pinned up and ready to sew:

Leaving a 5 inch gap in the front, sew exterior and lining fabrics together backstitching at each strap front and back edges for extra strength. Trim seam, clipping batting closely at side seams to reduce bulk, turn bag right side out through gap, turning lining to the inside. Press well at top seam, folding gap fabrics to inside, press and pin, edge stitch along top edge around the entire bag and flap. Smooth lining in the interior, pin on bottom near sides, stitch from front to back on short sides to hold lining down (you can also tack by hand if preferred). Mark where closure loop on flap comes down to body and centering between side seams, sew button to the front (making sure not to sew pocket if you have it in the front). Stand back and admire your work and cute new purse.

Interior (could be a bit smoother on sides, you'll do better):

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
    This looks like a fun purse to make. Thanks for the detailed tutorial! People like you make the QB an even better place!
    Thanks so much, Sandy!

One last thing (sorry for forgetting), the finished purse dimensions are approximately 9" L, 4 1/2" D and 5" H.

Washington, trying to use up my fabric stash!!
    Blog Entries
    Thank you geevee. I will have to try to make one of your purses.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much for the tute. I want to make one for my camera I got for Christmas. This tutes fabric IS SO PRETTY.
    Mary

Thank you for the nice tute! Love the purse.
    Linda J.

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I have purchased two purse patterns and I like yours the best!

Thanks so much this looks really cute.

Very cute bag - I want to make it, too!
    Rilène

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast