Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Card Tricks Block using stripes >

Card Tricks Block using stripes

Card Tricks Block using stripes

Old 10-11-2010, 01:42 PM

Thanks Belles. I'm very flattered. When you find a good fabric, post a picture here. I might be able to do a mock-up block on paper for you.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:10 PM

Have to say thank you for sharing this with us. Hope we can do the same for you.
Love, love your quilts.
I made a "Dazzling Dresden" which is basically made the same way. The results are unbelievably beautiful but so easy.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by pjustice63
Have to say thank you for sharing this with us. Hope we can do the same for you.
Love, love your quilts.
I made a "Dazzling Dresden" which is basically made the same way. The results are unbelievably beautiful but so easy.

I would love to see a picture of your Dazzling Dresden.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Hi Jennie, just wondering what the two finished block sizes are please. Also, wondering how do you choose the fabric used with the one Athenagwis gave you, ie what does it look like before you fussy cut it so that you get those kaleidoscopic shapes. Hope this makes sense. BTYW Just love the sister,have been waiting to see it and only found it yestereday. Superb! CarolB
Old 10-19-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
Thanks Belles. I'm very flattered. When you find a good fabric, post a picture here. I might be able to do a mock-up block on paper for you.
Oh, thank you. I believe I've found quite a few good fabrics. I hope they show up well enough for you to critique. I'm hoping a lot of them will work. Thanks again. Belles

Card Trick #1 Hopeful
[ATTACH=CONFIG]105925[/ATTACH]

Card Trick #2 Hopeful
[ATTACH=CONFIG]105926[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-105920.jpe   attachment-105921.jpe  
Old 10-20-2010, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by ozecb
Hi Jennie, just wondering what the two finished block sizes are please. Also, wondering how do you choose the fabric used with the one Athenagwis gave you, ie what does it look like before you fussy cut it so that you get those kaleidoscopic shapes. Hope this makes sense. BTYW Just love the sister,have been waiting to see it and only found it yestereday. Superb! CarolB
Hi Carol,
The finished sizes are 12" and 9".

And, here is the fabric you are asking about, in a block (top left and bottom right) and then by itself.

I chose it because it had a symmetrical design.

block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108234[/ATTACH]

fabric that half the block came from
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108399[/ATTACH]

back in the piecing process
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108400[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108229.jpe   attachment-108394.jpe   attachment-108395.jpe  
Old 10-20-2010, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Belles
Oh, thank you. I believe I've found quite a few good fabrics. I hope they show up well enough for you to critique. I'm hoping a lot of them will work. Thanks again. Belles
Hi Belles,
In your first photo, I used one of those fabrics - the one that is pink and brown.

I love your fabrics. After examining all in the first photo, I think the only one that will give you trouble for this type of block is the large scale print that is rust and gold on the left side of the picture. It goes in one direction and isn't symmetrical.

I'll take some time and really look at the second grouping of fabrics too.

fabric that we both have
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108463[/ATTACH]

fabric in half this block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108464[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108458.jpe   attachment-108459.jpe  
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Hi Belles,
In your first photo, I used one of those fabrics - the one that is pink and brown.

I love your fabrics. After examining all in the first photo, I think the only one that will give you trouble for this type of block is the large scale print that is rust and gold on the left side of the picture. It goes in one direction and isn't symmetrical.

I'll take some time and really look at the second grouping of fabrics too.
Thanks and thanks for checking them over. I'm feeling OK about the rust/gold fabric not working since I didn't choose it! A friend who knew I was looking for border fabric gave it to me, so thus far I'm doing OK with my choices. I hope to start on my first block this weekend, probably with the pink & brown that we both have since I know it turns out great! Belles
Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 AM

I hope to start on my first block this weekend, probably with the pink & brown that we both have since I know it turns out great! Belles
That pretty fabric has been around for a while. I remember my mother in law buying it for me in either 2007 or 2008. I didn't use the large flowers of that print. As you can see, I choose to just use the part of the design that looks like snowflakes and stripes. Towards the center of the block, the printing on the fabric doesn't match up precisely - they are the leaves or petals from the large flowers. Flowers are tricky. Sometimes border prints have sections that are symmetrical and sections that are not.

I was also wondering if you could separate the fabrics in photo 2 and take another picture or two? From what I see, they are blending together so it's hard to determine exactly which fabrics might work for you.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:12 AM

I hope to start on my first block this weekend, probably with the pink & brown that we both have since I know it turns out great! Belles
That pretty fabric has been around for a while. I remember my mother in law buying it for me in either 2007 or 2008. I didn't use the large flowers of that print. As you can see, I choose to just use the part of the design that looks like snowflakes and stripes. Towards the center of the block, the printing on the fabric doesn't match up precisely - they are the leaves or petals from the large flowers. Flowers are tricky. Sometimes border prints have sections that are symmetrical and sections that are not.

I was also wondering if you could separate the fabrics in photo 2 and take another picture or two? From what I see, they are blending together so it's hard to determine exactly which fabrics might work for you.
I'm very happy to separate the second group into group #3 & #4. Hopefully that will be easier for you to check over. I really, really appreciate your taking the time to help me and also giving hints on how to and what not to and what to look for. Based on just what you write for this board, you'll be an excellent instructor for the quilt shop. Thanks and here's #3 & #4. Belles

Card Trick Hopeful #4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94428[/ATTACH]

Card Trick Hopeful #3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94429[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-94423.jpe   attachment-94424.jpe