Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Color Play with HSTs

Blog Entries

Color Play with HSTs

I love to use my EQ5. One of the things that fascinate me is how you can start with one idea and make so many new ones from the first one.

I used HSTs or Half Square Triangles in this tutorial. Here is my cut down method for making HSTs
    Really Easy Half Square Triangle Blocks

while playing on my EQ5 the other day I started changing the color on a quilt block I had used in another Color Play tutorial I had written earlier. But that one was about turning the block (HSTs) and getting new layouts.
    Rhonda's 4 x 4 Quilt blocks

Only this time all I changed was the colors. I discovered a lot of different arrangements of this quilt block only using different colors and placing them in different places in the quilt block.

This fascinates me as to what you can do just by changing such a simple thing as the colors and how many colors you use.

I like deep contrast so the individual sections stand out from the others. If you use colors that are too close in value you will lose the design elements and it all becomes a hodge podge with no distinct design.

So watch what happens when you place colors in particular places in contrasting colors.

Name:  0 -dog's heads.jpg
Views: 3734
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3746
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 3733
Size:  24.8 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 3732
Size:  23.4 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 3735
Size:  23.9 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 3739
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 3736
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 3722
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 3736
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 3713
Size:  28.2 KB

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's amazing what color/fabric change can do to a block/quilt! My student was amazed when I showed her color variants.
    Then the trick is to pay attention to how you want it to lay out, especially when doing a complete quilt!

Blog Entries
    Now I took the last quilt block you see above and changed it one more time. I had to see what it would look like in a quilt.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 3666
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 3681
Size:  112.7 KB

And then I decided to change the dark to light and the light to dark. I did this in the quilt first and then using EQ5 I eliminated all the blocks but one to see what that did to the original quilt block and you can see here what I found.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 3669
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 3669
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 3676
Size:  121.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie View Post
    It's amazing what color/fabric change can do to a block/quilt! My student was amazed when I showed her color variants.
    Then the trick is to pay attention to how you want it to lay out, especially when doing a complete quilt!
    So true Phyllis. I am always excited to see how others use color in the same designs.

QM
    Thanks for sharing. I am also fond on playing with pattern elements.

Truly amazing thanks for sharing.

WOW ! What fun! I am going to have to research getting the EQ5. I could spend days on it. Love what you did. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I normally go to the library for quilt books and copy the ones I want. My old library does book sales twice a year. Because I was always getting the same 3 books over and over they set them aside for me. Bargello's - Puzzle Blocks and HST's=Half Square Tricks. I amazed my DS and DIL when the 3 quilts I made my DSGD's for Christmas were all made with the same amount of pieces and were totally different. I'm still waiting for DIL to send me pictures on-line and instructions on how to post them...as my son says -I'm a quilt geek not a computer geek

Thanks for sharing these photos. I have EQ (don't remember which one) but don't play with it as much as I used to. I love the last quilt layout.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing!
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast