Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Boxes with French Seams Tutorial

I have been thinking about hopefully doing one just a bit taller than I did with the one from last night. I have a 16 1/2 inch square ruler and will use that as a guide. I hesitate to do it way larger as I think I may have a slightly not as stiff box as I would like and I will keep it in mind the triangle/ seam is the height. Now I have to go do dishes.

I've been wanting to make one of these and tonight I did! I used the original site at the beginning but cut my square at 13" because that was what fabric I had. After turning & quilting... I chose randomly to measure up 2 " from the corners & drew my diagonal....stitched on there and then again 1/4" away.... and trimmed off to the 1/8th" marking.... whew... then followed the directions here & ended up with a little fabric box the exact size that holds a toilet paper roll! Name:  Anne & Chris003_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 253
Size:  59.8 KB

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Excellent Thimble!!!! It looks great. Thank you for posting a photo.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

[QUOTE=thimblebug6000;6469639]I've been wanting to make one of these and tonight I did! I used the original site at the beginning but cut my square at 13" because that was what fabric I had. After turning & quilting... I chose randomly to measure up 2 " from the corners & drew my diagonal....stitched on there and then again 1/4" away.... and trimmed off to the 1/8th" marking.... whew... then followed the directions here & ended up with a little fabric box the exact size that holds a toilet paper roll! Name:  Anne & Chris003_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 253
Size:  59.8 KB[/QUOTE

Perfect, now that is wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. This has a "neater" interior and I think I would really like this. Made several but didn't use this method yet.

Thanks for the tutorial. I am definitely going to try this with some of my extra fabric. Pictures help.
    Lizzy in La.

Blog Entries
    Nice lesson on making these fabric boxes - will for sure keep this in mind for the holidays!

Fabric boxes

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Haven't made any of these yet, but think I'll use your technique when I do, thanks!
    Fabric boxes are neat. I made a dozen or more last Christmas. Someone asked what to do with the corner cutoff---
    I arranged the raw edges together to form a square and zigzagged the seams to make a mug rug or coaster. Really is easy or you can use it then as a "topper" to the box, or as a coaster to the box. Also I like the French seams on the outside of the box, holds up better and leaves more space inside. Make smaller boxes to hold cards of buttons, bottle of shampoo, tissue paper for bathroom, cookies, most anything! Marilyn

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgrubbs View Post
    Fabric boxes are neat. I made a dozen or more last Christmas. Someone asked what to do with the corner cutoff---
    I arranged the raw edges together to form a square and zigzagged the seams to make a mug rug or coaster. Really is easy or you can use it then as a "topper" to the box, or as a coaster to the box. Also I like the French seams on the outside of the box, holds up better and leaves more space inside. Make smaller boxes to hold cards of buttons, bottle of shampoo, tissue paper for bathroom, cookies, most anything! Marilyn
    I would love to see a photo of what you did with the corners. I haven't thrown any of mine away because they are already sandwiched and quilted. A present topper sounds terrific. Hope you will post a photo here or on a separate thread.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

love this thanks
    I love to collect roosters of any kind. I also love embroidery thread for my machine. My favorite color is purple and i am just a plain old country girl.lol

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast