I decided to try my hand at a tutorial after reading so many nice ones on here. I saw a similar pattern to this made with 3 fat quarters and given as a Christmas gift. I just modified it into a lot smaller ornament.
In case you can't read directions on my crude drawing, here is what you need.
Scraps of 3 coordinating fabrics minimum 2.5 x 5.5
Embroidery floss & needle
Cut 3 2" x 5" coordinating strips.
Thread needle with 7-8" . Do not make a knot.
1. Lay the first strip down WRONG side up and make your first fold, folding the right bottom corner to the left as seen in picture above the directions.
2. Make your next fold to the right keeping edges even. (You may have to finger press the folds to get them to lay flat or you could iron.)
3. Make your third fold to the left and you should have a little bit of fabric still unfolded at the top.
4. Next picture shows how you have to fold down the left corner of remaining edge. This is so it fits inside the folded part better.
5. Tuck remaining piece inside the folds you previously made. You can see pic in lighter pink fabric pic.
6. Make two more triangles the same way from the other two strips.
7. Lay triangles out similar to layout in next picture.
8. Put one on top of the other until you have a pleasing star arrangement.
9. Place button on top triangle and insert needle thru from front to back and then back thru from back and thru other button hole.
10. Cut thread, leaving enough of a tail to tie two knots to secure button.
Note: You want to make sure you catch all the little folded in parts with the thread.
11. With remaining floss, thread thru top of one point of star and make loop to size you like. Tie off and Voila! ...Your Fabric Star ornament.
Some who made these used a very cute Christmas button and made it even more festive. Please post pics of your efforts as I would love to see how yours turn out.
Directions and Steps 1-3
Step 4 & 5
Step # 8