Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: FlyingGeese-Quick&Easy

I watched Ricky Tim's video and wrote out these directions after seeing the video for making Flying Geese using just one seam. This technique is also called the ENGLISH METHOD of slying geese. Good luck to all. This is easy, quick and so much more fun (for me) than the old way of doing Flying Geese. Don't forget to check out SONDRAY's post about changing sizes for this method which she posted in July 2008.

PHOTO of Flying Geese Pieces and the arrangement to make a 1 seam block
    Name:  Attachment-49814.jpe
Views: 279
Size:  33.4 KB

Written Instructions for English Method Flying Geese block
    Name:  Attachment-57214.jpe
Views: 250
Size:  30.2 KB

Neat! I used this method in one of my blocks for the b/w swap......... didn't know what I was doing........ just followed the directions.

Just watched the video where I have DSL rather than at home with dial up! How great is that, and with this method you can do curved seams ala Cathedral Windows! How great is that!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the instructions and pictures :D :D :D

Banned
    thank you for taking the time to put this together for us

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Have you tried this method Feathers? I made 50 the other night while watching tv- they go so fast when done by hand. But they used twice the fabric. How would you hand quilt around them? Don't think my machine quilter will do them as they have the pocket that gets caught in the machine- but I thought I would use them on a hand quilted wall hanging. Would I tack the pocket down all the way around the "arrow"? Help!
    Loretta, yes! I've made these and I could do a WHOLE KING quilt with them NOW. Since the first Flying Geese unit I ever made I realized it wasn't a unit I enjoyed making so haven't done too many in the past but I do like this method. The picture I posted is the finished block of my first FG when I tried out the 1 seam method. I like it.

Kluedesigns: You're welcome! I hope you'll be able to use the instructions to make something you'll love.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    LOL! I hate to be a pain here- but how do I quilt around those pockets? If they are used in a quilt that is going to be used and washed, they all have to be sewn down don't they?
    Loretta, you aren't a pain so quit thinking that but OK, I didn't say this was going to be THAT easy? Maybe an applique treatment or blanket stitch on the edge of the (yellow on my quilt block example) pyrimid shape or use a fusible on that same part of the block? Anybody have suggestions??

Blog Entries
    Ricky Timms lets his geese fly just like they are :D He does not sew them down, but likes the 3dimensional look. Since they are secured, it may not hurt to let them alone, would they need to be pressed any after washing??? I have not made any this way yet.

Banned
    Thank you for posting this.

i saw that also and how easy just wish i had it when i was making flying geese with 1 1/2 inch sq

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast