Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: folding corners- minkie backing folded to front for binding

folding corners- minkie backing folded to front for binding

i was asked to show how i folded the corners to bind my 'celtic dreams' quilt with the minkie backing- brought forward and machine stitched
    i snapped a few pics and will try to show this

first i trim the batting (if used) even with the top-
    then i trim the minkie to about 1" wide all the way around the top

i start part way down a side and fold the minkie to the edge of the top- then fold again over the top and start stitching.

when i come close to a corner i fold the corner in (diagonally) to the point of the quilt top- then fold again
    i then fold the side as i have been to form 1/2 of a miter- and stitch to the edge of the miter
    i stop- clip threads- remove quilt from machine- turn it- fold the next side to finish the miter and continue folding stitching down the next side-

here's the pics. i used regular fabrics & tried to keep my fingers out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Thank you for showing me how to do the folds. I have 1 question reguarding the corner....did you fold the corner down twice or just once before you did the sides?

duh I guess I should have studied the pics better cause I see what you did now!
    Thank you
    starlite(Jan)

Blog Entries
    THANK YOU!!! I'm just about ready to put Minkey backing on a baby quilt, and I will give it a try.

Thank you so much. I love your rings, they are beautiful!
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Thanks for your pictures! I knew there was an easier method for mitered corners, just couldn't remember it ... has to be senior moments abounding.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Wonderful tutorial. A real help to us newbies...trying to make a lap quilt for a friend's mother and needed a better way to do the border than bias. Great work.

That was very helpful.thank you for sharing