Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
how I come up with a quilting motif >

how I come up with a quilting motif

how I come up with a quilting motif

Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

That is beautiful....
Old 04-08-2014, 04:58 AM

Okay, now..... How did you make your beautiful feathers? And, do you do mark your pattern on the quilt beofre quilting? Your design looks so perfect every time!!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

For feathers in a border: first I measure the borders both width and length. I mark a "miter" line in every corner (diagonal line) then I mark the half way line in both the width and the length. I take into consideration binding and squaring up and adjust my width center line accordingly. I then take my length wise measurement and see what it divides into evenly and still look nice. Then I grab my circle ruler that is closest to that measurement and mark the undulating spine of the feather going back and forth across that center line I drew previously. I do all this before I load the quilt on the rack. The spine is all I mark for feathers. The rest is freehand. Really the human eye is a remarkable thing. So even if every plume of the feather is different the human eye "sees" them as being uniform when viewing as a whole. I use the "hump and bump" method for quilting feathers so every other plume is backtracked across the top. I am human so there are loads of backtracks that aren't exactly on the previous line of stitching, but again that marvelous feat of intelligent design (my belief) that is the human eye corrects for that and unless you are scrutinizing every plume you don't notice those backtracks where I am a bit off. I have found the less I stress about them the better I get at them.

I like my feathered corners to wrap around the quilt so I find it is easiest for me to "stop" the feather at the mid way point on every border in order to wrap them around each corner the same way. I usually have the feather swirl back on itself at the midpoint.

For the puff top feather, swirl thing in the block, I used the piecing itself as registration dots. So at each stage of the "swoosh" I was looking ahead at the point I wanted to hit with my eye. Again those marvelous human eyes, where you are looking is where you end up going. It is the same when driving down a road. You aren't looking at the road right in front of your car are you? No of course not you are looking way ahead and miraculously you are steering the car where you want to be and managing to stay in your lane. It is the same with aiming a gun, archery, shooting pool and quilting. Look ahead to your target and you are sure to hit your target or at least darn close to it. So no I did not mark those. But if I am doing a feather in a block, I will mark the spine.
Believe me each one of those swooshes are slightly different but because of the way our eyes work we see them as being the same.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:46 AM

Beautiful design! Thanks so much for sharing this! It's very insightful, to say the least. I've often been ready to begin quilting, only to end up looking at the quilt for days wondering WHAT to quilt, so end up in a rut and keep doing the same, or similar quilting on so many quilts.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 AM

Beautiful, thank you for sharing!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

fantastic quilting!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:18 PM

I just love this. I am in Awh.Iwould love to quilt something like this.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 PM

When I first saw the top, I thought it was just a mish-mash of unrelated shapes. But seeing what you have done with the quilting - wow! It is transformed. You've illuminated the shapes that were there (that I couldn't see) and added more interest as well. Absolutely wonderful! Now you have to show us the whole quilt -- please!
I really like the other star that was created as well. Great job.
nancy California
Old 08-13-2014, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
When I first saw the top, I thought it was just a mish-mash of unrelated shapes. But seeing what you have done with the quilting - wow! It is transformed. You've illuminated the shapes that were there (that I couldn't see) and added more interest as well. Absolutely wonderful! Now you have to show us the whole quilt -- please!

Like others here I totally agree with dunster. Congratulations,the quilting is exquisite and really does make the quilt prettier.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the recommendation of the book. I ordered it and hope to improve my thought process when it comes to the designs. I have a couple quilts I have been holding off on quilting to improve my skills. Currently I am taking a class at craftsy and am getting better with my designs, but that book should help a lot.

Oh, I almost forgot, very pretty quilt once you worked your magic on it! Did you use a couple battings in it?