Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Make an Easy Patchwork Jacket

Thanks for the 'tute'... think I'll try this using some lighthouse fabric I have as the focal fabric. Will have to watch the direction I place the lighthouses . :lol:

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm confused about the empty spots -but you must know I am blonde - is that a good enough excuse - LOL?

In one of the posts you mention you never do the zig zag over another seam. But on the picture where I see blank spots I wouldn't know how to sew a patch without sewing over another seam.

Am I making sense? Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by PghPat
    I guess I'm confused about the empty spots -but you must know I am blonde - is that a good enough excuse - LOL?

In one of the posts you mention you never do the zig zag over another seam. But on the picture where I see blank spots I wouldn't know how to sew a patch without sewing over another seam.

Am I making sense? Please help!
    I'm not sure where you thought you saw that, I zig zag over seams all the time! LOL I do cover the entire sweatshirt, but you don't have to. I did stop sewing the uncovered edges as I realized that they generally ended up being covered by the next batch of pieces I put on, but I still did a lot of "sewing over the seams".

Blog Entries
    Sorry UglyCook - it was Brendadawg that mentioned not sewing over stitching - on page 4 - that had me confused with the picture of your jacket.

I'm a newer than new quilter and am just such a scaredy cat when it comes to trying something new but I keep telling myself - what have I got to loose besides an old sweatshirt - LOL!

I'm going to get brave and try it SOON. I wish a lot of these people would share some of thier pictures of jackets they've done.

Thanks for the tutorial. It is very helpful and easy to understand.

I'm a newer than new quilter and am just such a scaredy cat when it comes to trying something new but I keep telling myself - what have I got to loose besides an old sweatshirt - LOL!

I'm going to get brave and try it SOON. I wish a lot of these people would share some of thier pictures of jackets they've done.
    Are you sure you are newer than me? I just started in March!

Blog Entries
    That might be a tie breaker Ugly Cook - I started in March also. But you do seem much more experienced than I do. I really didn't do much machine sewing at all - haven't touched a sewing machine in over 40 years - until March.

Sometimes I think I need to give up - I just make the dumbest mistakes. One thing turns out okay and then the next is a disaster. I want to keep trying tho.

When I get the courage I WILL do a sweatshirt jacket like yours.

Thanks for the postings.

That might be a tie breaker Ugly Cook - I started in March also. But you do seem much more experienced than I do. I really didn't do much machine sewing at all - haven't touched a sewing machine in over 40 years - until March.

Sometimes I think I need to give up - I just make the dumbest mistakes. One thing turns out okay and then the next is a disaster. I want to keep trying tho.

When I get the courage I WILL do a sweatshirt jacket like yours.

Thanks for the postings.
    I "unsew" about as much as I sew. Never thought I'd get so good at ripping out! LOL I tend to jump in headfirst and worry about reading the directions later. Today, I am practicing free motion quilting. I may need to find some directions soon!

Blog Entries
    Ugly Cook - when you got the blue fabric for your sweatshirt - approximately how much of each fabric did you get. I really liked the one you made - was it for your mom - the brown tones.

If your like I am, being new, I haven't accumulated a "stash" yet and when I want to make something I buy the fabric for that item.

Thanks! Pat

Ugly Cook - when you got the blue fabric for your sweatshirt - approximately how much of each fabric did you get. I really liked the one you made - was it for your mom - the brown tones.

If your like I am, being new, I haven't accumulated a "stash" yet and when I want to make something I buy the fabric for that item.

Thanks! Pat
    I think third of a yard would be plenty, depending on how many different fabrics you used. I find that 5 is really the minimum that works well. You might get away with a quarter, but it could get close.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast