Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
How To Quilt As You Go using a whole backing and sections of the top instead of blocks >

How To Quilt As You Go using a whole backing and sections of the top instead of blocks

How To Quilt As You Go using a whole backing and sections of the top instead of blocks

Old 09-08-2011, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the great tutorial. I'm definitely going to try this.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Perfect timing...thanks for posting! I'm planning to do my Affairs of the Heart this way and I just finished the center section...so I think I'll wash my backing fabric today so I can get started!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 AM

One night while laying awake trying to figure how to put my quilt together without having to sew back panels, I thought of this very same idea! I was so excited that I couldn't go to sleep! In the morning I started my wonderful plan. A couple of days later, I found a site online (can't remember whose) that gave directions that were basically the same idea as mine! And now here you are doing it the same way! I have to say it's the greatest way to get your quilt together and quilted if you are using a regular home machine. It goes along so smoothly and when you are done, it looks like it was done on a LAQ! I had done a QAYG some time back and had quilted 12" squares and then had sewn them together in the usual manner of QAYG. Didn't really like it. This new way is super. (If I do say so myself! ;)
Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by majormom
One night while laying awake trying to figure how to put my quilt together without having to sew back panels, I thought of this very same idea! I was so excited that I couldn't go to sleep! In the morning I started my wonderful plan. A couple of days later, I found a site online (can't remember whose) that gave directions that were basically the same idea as mine! And now here you are doing it the same way! I have to say it's the greatest way to get your quilt together and quilted if you are using a regular home machine. It goes along so smoothly and when you are done, it looks like it was done on a LAQ! I had done a QAYG some time back and had quilted 12" squares and then had sewn them together in the usual manner of QAYG. Didn't really like it. This new way is super. (If I do say so myself! ;)
Just goes to prove that great minds think alike, right? And where was your tutorial to save me all this thinking??? LOLOL Just kidding, my brain needs it's exercise more than ever these days.
Hugs and smiles...
Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Originally Posted by majormom
Just goes to prove that great minds think alike, right? And where was your tutorial to save me all this thinking??? LOLOL Just kidding, my brain needs it's exercise more than ever these days.
Hugs and smiles...
Now my face is red
:oops: What a twit I am. I never gave it a thought - I was so excited about working on my OWN quilt. Whew, I'm ashamed.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 AM

I used the method where you did one block at a time. I learned the hard way not to FMG to the edge of the block. I like your method better. I must try this soon.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Hugs and smiles...[/quote]

Now my face is red
:oops: What a twit I am. I never gave it a thought - I was so excited about working on my OWN quilt. Whew, I'm ashamed.[/quote]

Awwwwww, noooooo, I really was teasinggg.. Please don't feel badly. If you had posted yours first then I would have been deprived of my 15 minutes of feeling like Columbus discovering the new world!!! It's such a great feeling when you figure out a solution to a problem, you just didn't want to take that away from me. Huggggggs and smilesssssss and happy quilting!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 AM

I have seen it done that way, but i don't believe it was started in the middle. the botton was rolled while they added each row starting at the top.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Koula
I have seen it done that way, but i don't believe it was started in the middle. the botton was rolled while they added each row starting at the top.
Actually I start quilting from the left.
1. I divide the quilt top into even sections. That includes
left and right borders in the appropriate sections.
2. I then cut the batting into sections about 1 inch larger
than the quilt tops, (except the top and the bottom
where I cut the batting longer to accomodate for the
borders.) The batting is the bulkiest part of the
sandwich and by doing it this way, the only
fabric you have to worry about while you are quilting is
quilt backing.
3. I then spray baste one batting section and apply it
to the left side of the quilt backing.
4. Then spray that batting again and apply the quilt top.
5. Then I quilt to within 1 inch of the edges of the section,
except for the border, I do all the borders at the same
time at the end.
6. Then I take the batting for the next section and spray
baste that and apply it to the next section of the quilt
backing, butting the edges against the first section. I
iron batting tape over the edges.
7, I then stitch the two top sections together, and hold it
back while I spray baste the top of the second section
of batting. And them smooth the second quilt top
section over the batting and then quilt that section.
8. For a large quilt I usually divide it into 3 sections.
9. When all the sections are done, I add the top and
bottom borders and then proceed to quilt around all
the borders Then I finish with the binding.
Hope this is clear. I am not at a point on my present quilt that I can take pictures, and I'm not sure I would be able to figure out how to add the pictures if I had them. :-(
Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 PM

I think I should have checked my spelling etc on that last post! :oops: