Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How To Quilt As You Go using a whole backing and sections of the top instead of blocks

Thanks for the great tutorial. I'm definitely going to try this.

Blog Entries
    Perfect timing...thanks for posting! I'm planning to do my Affairs of the Heart this way and I just finished the center section...so I think I'll wash my backing fabric today so I can get started!

One night while laying awake trying to figure how to put my quilt together without having to sew back panels, I thought of this very same idea! I was so excited that I couldn't go to sleep! In the morning I started my wonderful plan. A couple of days later, I found a site online (can't remember whose) that gave directions that were basically the same idea as mine! And now here you are doing it the same way! I have to say it's the greatest way to get your quilt together and quilted if you are using a regular home machine. It goes along so smoothly and when you are done, it looks like it was done on a LAQ! I had done a QAYG some time back and had quilted 12" squares and then had sewn them together in the usual manner of QAYG. Didn't really like it. This new way is super. (If I do say so myself! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by majormom
    One night while laying awake trying to figure how to put my quilt together without having to sew back panels, I thought of this very same idea! I was so excited that I couldn't go to sleep! In the morning I started my wonderful plan. A couple of days later, I found a site online (can't remember whose) that gave directions that were basically the same idea as mine! And now here you are doing it the same way! I have to say it's the greatest way to get your quilt together and quilted if you are using a regular home machine. It goes along so smoothly and when you are done, it looks like it was done on a LAQ! I had done a QAYG some time back and had quilted 12" squares and then had sewn them together in the usual manner of QAYG. Didn't really like it. This new way is super. (If I do say so myself! ;)
    Just goes to prove that great minds think alike, right? And where was your tutorial to save me all this thinking??? LOLOL Just kidding, my brain needs it's exercise more than ever these days.
    Hugs and smiles...

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    Quote Originally Posted by majormom
    Just goes to prove that great minds think alike, right? And where was your tutorial to save me all this thinking??? LOLOL Just kidding, my brain needs it's exercise more than ever these days.
    Hugs and smiles...
    Now my face is red
    :oops: What a twit I am. I never gave it a thought - I was so excited about working on my OWN quilt. Whew, I'm ashamed.

I used the method where you did one block at a time. I learned the hard way not to FMG to the edge of the block. I like your method better. I must try this soon.

Hugs and smiles...[/quote]

Now my face is red
    :oops: What a twit I am. I never gave it a thought - I was so excited about working on my OWN quilt. Whew, I'm ashamed.[/quote]

Awwwwww, noooooo, I really was teasinggg.. Please don't feel badly. If you had posted yours first then I would have been deprived of my 15 minutes of feeling like Columbus discovering the new world!!! It's such a great feeling when you figure out a solution to a problem, you just didn't want to take that away from me. Huggggggs and smilesssssss and happy quilting!!!

I have seen it done that way, but i don't believe it was started in the middle. the botton was rolled while they added each row starting at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Koula
    I have seen it done that way, but i don't believe it was started in the middle. the botton was rolled while they added each row starting at the top.
    Actually I start quilting from the left.
    1. I divide the quilt top into even sections. That includes
    left and right borders in the appropriate sections.
    2. I then cut the batting into sections about 1 inch larger
    than the quilt tops, (except the top and the bottom
    where I cut the batting longer to accomodate for the
    borders.) The batting is the bulkiest part of the
    sandwich and by doing it this way, the only
    fabric you have to worry about while you are quilting is
    quilt backing.
    3. I then spray baste one batting section and apply it
    to the left side of the quilt backing.
    4. Then spray that batting again and apply the quilt top.
    5. Then I quilt to within 1 inch of the edges of the section,
    except for the border, I do all the borders at the same
    time at the end.
    6. Then I take the batting for the next section and spray
    baste that and apply it to the next section of the quilt
    backing, butting the edges against the first section. I
    iron batting tape over the edges.
    7, I then stitch the two top sections together, and hold it
    back while I spray baste the top of the second section
    of batting. And them smooth the second quilt top
    section over the batting and then quilt that section.
    8. For a large quilt I usually divide it into 3 sections.
    9. When all the sections are done, I add the top and
    bottom borders and then proceed to quilt around all
    the borders Then I finish with the binding.
    Hope this is clear. I am not at a point on my present quilt that I can take pictures, and I'm not sure I would be able to figure out how to add the pictures if I had them. :-(

I think I should have checked my spelling etc on that last post! :oops:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast