Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kansas Dugout Blocks

Blog Entries
    Here is my shortcut for making Kansas Dugout Blocks. They are easy to make with my cut down method.

The cut down method simply means you cut out swatches of fabric and sew then together and then cut out a square from the center. So here are the steps to making Kansas Dugout Blocks.

Swatches are pieces of fabric any size you need depending on the project you are making. Measure your template from center to the corner and add 1/2" seam allowance. This is how wide your swatch needs to be and it should be a little longer than the template is long on point or from one corner to the opposite corner.

You will need a template any size you like.

To make a 12 1/2" quilt block you will need a 2 1/2" template to make a quilt block that has 6 blocks across by 6 blocks down or a total of 36 Kansas Dugout blocks to make the Quilt Block.

You can see all of my cut down "Blocks" in one place in the Virtual Section
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1020

And I have used several of the Kansas Dugout designs in my Sampler Quilt along
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1017

I hope you have fun with this Block and make lots of beautiful things! I would love it if you post pics of what you make with my Blocks!!

The Kansas Dugout Block
    Name:  Attachment-98117.jpe
Views: 2616
Size:  6.6 KB

Cut two black swatches - size depends on your template size
    Name:  Attachment-98118.jpe
Views: 2606
Size:  5.0 KB

Cut one of the center swatch
    Name:  Attachment-98119.jpe
Views: 2609
Size:  9.1 KB

Sew the center swatch to one of the black swatches
    Name:  Attachment-98120.jpe
Views: 2623
Size:  15.0 KB

Lay a ruler on the seam and trim the center swatch to 1" (for a 2 1/2" template) or to 3/4" ( for the 1 1/2" template) from the seam
    Name:  Attachment-98123.jpe
Views: 2594
Size:  11.8 KB

Next sew on the other black swatch to the center swatch
    Name:  Attachment-98124.jpe
Views: 2595
Size:  12.6 KB

This is what you see after you cut out the square from the center. You can pull the pieces apart and recycle them into more blocks.
    Name:  Attachment-98126.jpe
Views: 2596
Size:  10.8 KB

Put your joined swatches on a mini cutting mat. Lay your template on the seam as shown so the opposite corners are centered in the center swatch. Hold the template with your left hand and cut along one side with the rotary cutter. Don't let go of the template as you turn the mat and continue to cut along the side of the template. Take time to make sure the template doesn't move for an accurately cut out square
    Name:  Attachment-98127.jpe
Views: 2621
Size:  11.8 KB

And Here Again is your Kansas Dugout Block!!
    Name:  Attachment-98128.jpe
Views: 2605
Size:  6.6 KB

I love your methods Rhonda. And your tutes are the greatest.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Rhonda :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Thank you Rhonda :D:D:D
    Thanks Little Hud and Amma I am trying to get all of my Blocks on here for everyone especially the ones doing the Sampler Quilt along. I can send them to my site but it is easier for everyone if they can see them here.

I have about 7 or 8 I think.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for posting this Rhonda. I love your tutorials.
    You have inspired me to try new blocks in a new way.

Very nice -- as usual!! Love your tutes ! :D

Thanks Rhonda, I think. You have given me a million projects to do. They are all so beautiful. I have just finished my first 4 Boston Blocks, to give to the girls at my doctors office for Christmas presents. And I want to make the mouse pad, and more and more and more. I hope I live long enough to do all I want to do. (I have a few good years left in me. LOL) I also thought I'd be getting rid of some of my smaller scraps,but instead, I've just made another container with even smaller scraps, can't get rid of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    Thanks Rhonda, I think. You have given me a million projects to do. They are all so beautiful. I have just finished my first 4 Boston Blocks, to give to the girls at my doctors office for Christmas presents. And I want to make the mouse pad, and more and more and more. I hope I live long enough to do all I want to do. (I have a few good years left in me. LOL) I also thought I'd be getting rid of some of my smaller scraps,but instead, I've just made another container with even smaller scraps, can't get rid of them.
    Sew the scraps into crumb projects! I only throw away threads! You can use the small scraps to make smaller blocks down to 1" if you like!!

Blog Entries
    I really like your tutorials. Makes sense to do the blocks your way. I just found your tuts as I just joined last month.
    Thank you.

Blog Entries
    You're welcome everyone! I am glad you enjoy the tutorials.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast