Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial >

Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial

Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 AM

thank you for the link. That is what I already have. You say there are 36 steps but the link only shows 14 steps. Is this all you posted?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by kandee
thank you for the link. That is what I already have. You say there are 36 steps but the link only shows 14 steps. Is this all you posted?
There are more steps on the 2nd and 3rd pages of the thread.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 PM

ok Eddie... i see your on line, so i'm taking this opportunity to tell you that your.. FANTASTIC..... i'm pretty new here, but have truly enjoyed all your posts and tuts.. it speaks of you as a person... from your quote i can see you are enjoying life....!
have visited your blog,, your work is wonderful,,, i can see where an artist would enjoy freemotion.... i have a grace frame with janome 1600 on it and do the loop de loop pretty well... you can probably understand why i tell all my friends it's like giving a 4 yr. old permission to "write on the wall with crayons"!!!!1
again, thanks for your contributions here,,, i really enjoy them.. they are better than a lot of what is available on line.... hummmm perhaps a career in DVD's????:)
Old 03-11-2011, 05:44 PM

I like it, thanks for the easy directions. I might get brave enough to try it....when I grow up more in my quilting....lol
Old 03-12-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
great job That's what the back of the one I posted looks like.
Yours is hand stitched, I believe. So are you saying the stitches go through the back of the quilt too. That is a lot of thickness. I don't hand quilt but it seems like that would be hard to do. I don't remember seeing photos of the back of yours. If no, will you show us?

Hi,

In this fabulously great tutorial the glass of the window is being stitched in by machine. The stitching is through all of the fabric layers. This stitching then creates the stitched pattern of quilting on the back side of the quilt as seen in one of the posted pictures.

When the glass of the window is being stitched in by
hand, the stitching does not need to be stitched through all of the layers. The stitching of the glass will be with the fabric that is folding over (the fabric that helps to create the circles) and through the glass fabric and through the first layer of the base square fabric. Stitching only through these layers of fabric will be enough stitching to secure the glass fabric.

This hand stitched method, as described above, will then create a little pocket area. If you've ever seen this pattern in antique quilts in person you might remember this. I've always wondered how this pocket was created. Now I know thanks to this tutorial.

This pattern does allow for a mixture of machine and hand stitching. By machine stitching the base fabric squares the making of these would go rather quickly. Especially if chain sewing and using a production line system to build up a supply of the base squares.

By putting a small group of base squares together, you have a small section to work with to add the glass fabric to make the colored window sections. The process could be completed with hand work for those who desire. By having small sections this could be a take-along project to work on while waiting at appointments or waiting for kids at their activities.

Just a thought I had, when putting the glass fabric into the square, it might help to use a slight amount of glue stick on the back of the glass fabric to help hold it in place. Not a lot mind you, but just enough to keep it from moving around while working around the square.

I would also make sure to pre-wash any and all fabric for this project. Especially if your base square are in the whites, and creams and then using colored fabric for the window panes. Even when pre-washing some older fabrics need to have extra attention to set the dye colors.

One comment about tacking down the four corners. When you tack down these four corners this goes through to the back of the quilt. The pattern that you see on the back then is a square with the tacking in the center of each square. This process helps to secure the top section of the quilt to the back fabric of the base squares. So you'll see squares with stitching grouped in the center, a dot of sorts.

Like several others, this tutorial was explained so clearly that even beginners can understand. The step by step pictures with comments helping to show each step are just outstanding. Without even stitching up one of these I do believe that I could show someone else how to make these blocks.

Thank you for the tip about cutting the glass fabric square just slightly smaller. This just makes such total sense. It helps to avoid fighting with the fabric and having the bulging bumps that would occur.

You've even helped to make the math portion of determining the necessary fabric needed quite understandable. You also mentioned that knowing the fabric width is important.

I like how you commented that it is a wise to get extra fabric. This has always been a practice of mine. I've been thankful of this when working on projects long after their purchase. I try as best as I can with budget limitations to do this with every project. It's a good idea to buy 1/4 yard more or an extra fat quarter of every fabric for projects.

This pattern is now definately on my "To-Do List" of projects.

I have never seen this pattern worked and completed by hand in a quilt in person, only the final outcome, so my comments are just MHO of logical thoughts.

Thank you for such a superb tutorial and thank you for reading my thoughts and suggestions.

Have a Great Quilty Day!

Pam M
Old 03-23-2011, 05:06 AM

WOW Toto's Mom, your black-background cathedral turned out fantastic! I love the brights and border too - it's not something I would have chosen to do myself but now you have me thinking about this very color scheme! Gorgeous!

I love that about this board - you guys get me to reach beyond my limited color scheme in my mind. I needed that!

Originally Posted by Toto's Mom
OK, I finally finished this last week, and posted my picture to a new thread.
Changed my mind and made it bigger than I had started out with.
Thanks so much, Eddie, for a most wonderful and clear tutorial.
Never would have attempted this without your very concise instructions.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:21 PM

Eddie: I am new to this list and I've been searching for an easier way to do the CW quilt....WOW, this is great! I'll start on my CW very soon. Thank you for sharing this with our group.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:27 PM

Jackie, look in my bookmarks for the Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial - there is a fantastic one that makes it far easier than I've ever seen!

Originally Posted by jackiefurl
Eddie: I am new to this list and I've been searching for an easier way to do the CW quilt....WOW, this is great! I'll start on my CW very soon. Thank you for sharing this with our group.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:11 PM

Hey, thanks; this is really great!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:56 PM

Hope this tutorial stays posted a long time..I want to make one..but will not get to it for several months..and too much to copy..thanks Eddie..