Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Make a Big Ironing Board

Hubby made me one that is 20 X 58 and it is perfect. Since I had an extra ironing board, he screwed the wooden top onto the ironing board, so that it is permanent. I can still fold it up to put away like the regular ironing board. Boy has it made a difference in how much easier it is to sew. Especially since I use lots of starch and I can cover a large area at a time. Had not heard about the holes, so think I may drill some just in case.

wow I always thought you needed to have a board with holes in it.

Nice board but you are not going to believe what I did. I look every where for an large ironing board that would let me iron the full width of fabric but they were all to expensive I gave up and made my own. I took an normal 18" by 54" board and one that hangs over a door and mated them. So now I have an ironing board that is 18" wide by 72" long. I love it for ironing large pieces of fabric. I use a normal sized one for most things but when I need more board I have it.

I have wanted one of the "quilt boards" since I first saw it advertised. Loved the tutorial, but what about the holes. Do you drill them and then cover w/batting and covering?

Are the wooden strips on the back angled to fit on top of your regular ironing board?

I think I will try your ideal but by sureing it to an ironing board,I think make it work. Will let you know.Thank you,CJ in Texas

The one we made we put the angled strips on the back to have the big board to the ironing board. Works well.

The directions I found online didn't say anything about drilling holes in the board so we didn't do it. I only have a $10 iron from Walmart and have had absolutely no problems with it at all. I've been using it for about 6 months now.

I'm sure if you want to drill holes in it, go for it. If my iron dies then I will consider taking apart my board and drilling some holes in it, but for now, my board makes me happy :)

I need to get another ironing board at a garage/flea market sale and do this. Need to keep one board for clothes. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    I need to get another ironing board at a garage/flea market sale and do this. Need to keep one board for clothes. :roll:
    I only have one ironing board - this just sits on top of my regular ironing board so when I need it for clothes or for just a quick something, I don't have to take out the big board.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast