Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Make Your Own Pattern Weights

Make Your Own Pattern Weights

I don't know why these pictures are so big, I resized them to the smallest size in Windows Gallery. I think I need to reinstall HP Photo which I'm used to dealing with.

Instead of sewing pattern weights I decided to make some fairly inexpensive, washable pattern weights out of heavy nuts.

I tried resting them in an egg carton which didn't work well, when they dried they had loose spots where it touched. So I'm going to dip them again and hang them over a box.

A can of the Plasti-Dip will double coat 10 large nuts. These are about 1.5" wide x1" deep and weigh about 4 oz.

Husband mentioned I could use rubberized spray paint, so I think I'll touch them up with that.

Name:  carton.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  319.4 KB Name:  dip.jpg
Views: 1996
Size:  413.6 KBName:  hang.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  437.9 KB
    Last edited by CAS49OR; 03-12-2015 at 10:55 AM.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    very clever and thanks for showing us how you made them
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I am going to be very ignorant here and ask what are pattern weights and how are they used?

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by busy fingers View Post
    I am going to be very ignorant here and ask what are pattern weights and how are they used?
    Pattern weights are used to hold patterns in place without pins while you cut the fabric. They are especially useful when you are using fabric that does not heal from pin holes such as vinyl. I have used them when I was sewing a wedding dress that was satin. They are also handy to hold things steady when rotary cutting especially if you have a longer piece of fabric that wants to slip around.

Blog Entries
    I got some fishing weights when we were in Florida - I should dip them!!!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Thanks!

I suggest hanging them from a rod, with a box underneath. They get coated better.

Name:  20150313_081404-1.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  172.3 KB
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    I purchased washers about the size of a half dollar, then I made Yo-Yo's and put the washers into the Yo-Yo's, pulled the thread to complete the Yo-Yo's, tied it off and I had weights. Very inexpensive and colorful.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    I just use fishing weights...never dipped or anything fancy... I might look for some large nuts, but bet I never bother to dip them..LOL

Why do you have to dip them?--besides they are prettier dipped. Would there be a problem of some mark coming off the bolts unto fabric? Just wondering.

Power Poster
    Great idea and I'm going to put the Hardware Store on my list to get nuts and the plastic dip. I think this is a fabulous idea, and thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast