Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Mitered Corners on a Hemmed Quilt

Making Mitered Corners on a Hemmed Quilt

Picture 1: Shows lining up the 45 degree line on the top edge of the pieced top. The cutting edge of the ruler is extended 1/4" past the point of the top (seam allowance). I like to trim my backing fabric 2" from pieced top for a nice size/full hem.

Picture 2: What it looks like after slicing off the corner. Practice on some scraps first just so you don't get nervous!

Picture3: Fold backing fabric lining up cut edge with corner of pieced top on the fold. Place a pin in the middle. Now stitch from folded corner to the pin. Clip corner.

Picture 4: Turn corner right side out. I just use my finger to "pop" the corner. If needed, finger press seam open.

Picture 5: Sides folded under and pinned. Ready to be stitched down. When I do a hemmed quilt, I machine stitch down the hem. This would also look nice with a decorative stitch.

Picture 6: This is a picture of a Log Cabin quilt I did about 5 years ago. As you can see, the seam is still holding up. And it's nice and flat - no bulk.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

Izy
    Fabulous Tute thanks!
    It's quarter to me time!!

Izy

You're welcome Izy!

Just had a question about this being binding. It's not binding, the red fabric is the backing fabric. After it's trimmed to twice what you would like your hem to be, then the corner is sliced off. I like a one inch hem that's why I trimmed to two inches. When tucked under it gives a nice full hem. If you want a 1 1/2" hem, then you would trim to three inches all the way around the quilt. This is a lot faster and less work than binding. Doubt you could use this method for a quilt that you want to enter into a contest. But, it's really durable for a kids quilt that is used and abused alot.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tut
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    Now, this is REALLY COOL!!!!!.

When you say hemmed quilt, are you referring to bringing the backing fabric to the front for the binding?

It couldn't be any easier. Now I have to go try this.

Thanks for the tute!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

You're welcome ladies!

ube: "When you say hemmed quilt, are you referring to bringing the backing fabric to the front for the binding?" Yes - and it is easy. But, make sure you practice on some scrap fabric first to get your measurements the way you want them.

Thanks! Even this newbie could understand perfectly!

BCM
    Thank you. The instructions are clearly written, but the addition of the pictures make it a tutorial that is very understandable to me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tute!!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.

WOW! After struggling on mitered borders this brings it right home. Thank you.
    Hugs
    Loretta

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast