Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
making some scrappy blocks >

making some scrappy blocks

making some scrappy blocks

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

when I need a *muslin type foundation block*, honestly I go to GoodWill or another local thrift store and pickup a flat sheet for $1.00 -- nice thread count, just toss in washer to clean, and cut it up. :)
Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 AM

I think sinc I have een such a slump in my quilting I will try this. I wouldn't have to worry about making a mistake and ripping it out. Lost my son and had to put my dog of 15 years to sleep.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 AM

I often save up used dryer sheets to make sew and flip crazy blocks. I can get a six inch block out of one. I have a tub where I save them. I decided when I get 144 I will sew them up into a quilt. I am up to 100. I also use the dryer sheets to make cloth books for babies, it is nice to include a "first book" along with a quilt.
Also when I use paper for this type of block, you do not have to remove it. If you are making a scrappy quilt, just leave it in and it will melt away in the first wash. The first quilt I ever made was a crazy scrap done with newspaper. The paper was not removed and washed out with the first laundry. That was forty plus years ago, and the washer was an old wringer. I believe between me and the kids and the wringer that quilt was just used up into a ball of threads long ago.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 AM

I can always use another stress free project in my life. Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM

I would like to do this some day.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Fear of making a mistake keeps me from going further....but this looks like something I can live with. Nice work. Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM

This might be a quilting project for this year because after 7 yr. of quilting I have stash of scraps. Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I also call this style crumb quilting ala quiltville but actually learned it here a little over a year ago. It is a great use of scraps in any size or shape. It is also fun "mindless" sewing and the blocks go together really fast. I don't do mine with foundation either. Thanks for posting.
The only thing that I find with "Crumb" quilting is that it is so addictive :twisted:

Top tip, I have found is that once you have "squared" off your blocks, I make mine 6.5" is to use a sashing to join them together, that stabilizes the edges as you can have so many seams on one edge. I have made at least 9 for Project Linus and my scrap stash is still huge :oops:
Old 01-07-2011, 11:45 AM
QM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mcbride4362
THANK YOU ...THANK YOU...I am new to quilting and always wondered what people meant when they said "scrapy quilt". This looks like so much fun, I can't wait to try it. Do you cut squares of batting and then quilt pieces to that? I am not sure I understand how you do the backing. It looked like you quilted onto squares (what happens with the raw edges that are uneven when you quilt over top of them? Just don't worry about them? After you cover the whole block, i am guessing that you use your rotary cutter to trim all the sides. This may all sound so trivial, but I am such a beginner. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, I cut squares of batting. I press and trim off extra bits before putting the quilt top together. I need to also make strips for any sashing or border I make. The backing is the same as any other quilt, but you don't need another batting. Yo are very welcome. I had really good help getting started with my quilting. You'll pass it on too.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Isn't using the batting like that the same as doing quilt-as-you-go? I'm going to start one as soon as I send off this post. I loved doing the potholder swap with these and now am ready for a charity quilt.