Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Mini quilt book to hold cut block pieces >

Mini quilt book to hold cut block pieces

Mini quilt book to hold cut block pieces

Old 02-08-2016, 04:54 AM

Such great ideas! oksewglad, thank you for this thread and the great pictures. And Iclang, I can see possibilities for all the bags of batting scraps in my closet.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:18 AM

What a brilliant idea!
While looking at this I was thinking that if you cut the outside (cover) 3 times the width of the other pieces, then you could fold over the front piece by 1/3 and run a stitch line down the folded edge to hold it in place. Then lay the rest of the squares you cut on the back 1/3 with the flannel facing up, fold the front over them and using a heavier thread, stitch down the folded edge to hold all the pieces in place. This would give you a book with all the vinyl on the outside & when you opened the cover, the vinyl will be on top and the first page would have the flannel facing up to put your blocks on. This way there is no flannel on the outside to pick up dust or stray threads and you can keep it cleaner.

I would make one to show you but I hurt my legs and haven't been able to sew for a year now but as soon as I'm able, this will defiantly be one of the first things I will make.

Last edited by seasaw2mch; 02-08-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 AM
pal

Wonderful idea for appliqué pieces. I'm going to try the same principle for the embroidery thread for each individual project - that's always a problem for me. Wow - this idea opens up a whole new world! Thank you so much oksewglad!!
Old 02-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
What a brilliant idea!
While looking at this I was thinking that if you cut the outside (cover) 3 times the width of the other pieces, then you could fold over the front piece by 1/3 and run a stitch line down the folded edge to hold it in place. Then lay the rest of the squares you cut on the back 1/3 with the flannel facing up, fold the front over them and using a heavier thread, stitch down the folded edge to hold all the pieces in place. This would give you a book with all the vinyl on the outside & when you opened the cover, the vinyl will be on top and the first page would have the flannel facing up to put your blocks on. This way there is no flannel on the outside to pick up dust or stray threads and you can keep it cleaner.

I would make one to show you but I hurt my legs and haven't been able to sew for a year now but as soon as I'm able, this will defiantly be one of the first things I will make.
Oh I think I'll try this for the next one I do....I love it when an idea builds and changes...glad to see that so many are seeing new ways to apply this.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:42 PM

My "block buddy" starts with a sturdy paper roll (think Christmas wrapping paper) cut to your desired length. Make a round top and bottom cover and then make the length of your book you want it to be. Attach your roller by gluing or sewing to the fabric as it meets your cover. You can lay your blocks in the roller, roll it up, and tie with a ribbon until you need to open your roller up. I have given many of these as gifts. They last a long time and the colors are lovely when you finish.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:57 AM

How clever!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-09-2016, 01:27 PM

Super idea!!! Love it. Thank you for sharing!!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Thak You for the wonderful tutorial. I to am doing the 365 challenge and your tutorial will come in handy when transporting these blocks to quilting group.
I can also see this working for my applique and embroidery. Off to find a tablecloth.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:24 PM

I am so going to make one of these for 12 1/2" blocks. You are so clever and this is such a fantastic idea. Thank you again!!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

Judith. I'd make 14-15" squares to accommodate seam allowances in your 12" finished block pieces. Share your book with us...