Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: My Way of Handquilting

Blog Entries
    Your work is amazing and thanks for sharing.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

How beautiful! I have always struggled with consistency in my stitches when hand-quilting. I am excited to try your tip of having the quilt in the frame looser rather than tauter. I think this may be my problem. Thank you for sharing!

Very, very nice thanks for sharing
    bjsmith57

I still dont understand how you keep the design so uniform if you dont have a marking to follow. Do you do your quilt tops the same way? without marking?
    Lise

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee_2000 View Post
    I still dont understand how you keep the design so uniform if you dont have a marking to follow. Do you do your quilt tops the same way? without marking?
    Hi Lise,
    thank you for asking. I mark most of my quilts (and I only do wholecloth quilts with solid farbics for the top) with a darning needle. The pattern is "scratched" in the fabric after layering.

Needle Marking

When the quilting is done you can't see the markings anymore - that is the reason why they aren't visible in the pictures.

Hope that helps!
    Andrea the Handquilter - I'm born to quilt!
    http://www.quiltkunst.de

Blog Entries
    You may only do one stitch at a time but your quilting is fabulous. Well done

I just completed looking and reading all 23 pages of this posting. What wonderful work Andrea. I have been a fan of yours for a long time. I hand quilted for many years but can not do it anymore probably because I didn't use proper hand and finger movements and damaged my knuckles. Thank you for sharing your method. I was so glad to get a link to your web site, I will now go there a spend a while looking at all your gorgeous quilt.

Your post is my FIRST bookmark!! I almost cried looking at your beautiful handpquilting!! It is the BEST that i have ever seen! Wow!! I am working on stretching my skills. Your post inspires me to be open to handquilting.

a friend of mine gave me his beloved mothers quilt frame rails. He knew that I was involved in the quilting world. It is about 10-12 feet long. Another friend gave me the legs that should hold the frame. I have held onto these for a couple of years. I need to give this a try. Thank you for inspiring us to stretch our skills!!!

Sandy

ps: his mom passed away a couple of years ago....I cherish the gift he entrusted in me. It is time that I used them.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Barb and Sandy,
    thank you for your posts. I am always happy to spread the word and when my work encourages others to try or keep on hand quilting. It's such a wonderful and versatile craft and I am very thankful for this gift.
    Happy Quilting!
    Andrea
    Andrea the Handquilter - I'm born to quilt!
    http://www.quiltkunst.de

RE: hole in fingernail....Have done that too. Next time I quilted I applied a false fingernail and saved my real one from injury.
    I have a friend who quilts one stitch at a time, However, she inserts her needle straight down and brings it straight up to the top. She wins competitions when she enters her quilts in them. She uses hoops and/or frame quilting. She also machine quilts on LA for $. Multi-talented, she does not create her own designs yet... Kudos to all the artistic designers of quilts! You have a special place in the quilting world with your talents. I have quilted my first full-sized pieced quilt with a feather motif. It is not that hard and results are very satisfying. You inspire me to expand my quilting efforts. BTW, I use thimbles, top and bottom to save my fingers and Frixion pens for marking. I got the pens on Amazon.
    Last edited by adamae; 01-27-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: clarifying and additional info

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 LastLast