Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
OBW tutorial by Cutebuns >

OBW tutorial by Cutebuns

OBW tutorial by Cutebuns

Old 01-22-2011, 05:19 PM

Thank you so much for your tute. I always thought you needed to be a scholar to do that pattern. I loved your steps and just might be able to do it. Thanks again!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 PM

KLO, I think you're right. I don't have a 60 degree cutting template, but I do have the 60 degrees on my regular rulers. But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use it!! Am I dumb or what? If I could figure it out, I could get on with this quilt, instead of waiting to order one. Any help or pictures to show me how to lay it correctly on the fabric. No, I just did one block to see if it would come out OK....glad I didn't cut it all using this Marti Mitchell tool....which apparently is not the correct one to use. :)
Old 01-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

I am not sure but I think on the tute I showed how to use a regular ruler but don't remember for sure.

For those that think this is an advanced quilt, it isn't. A relative beginner can do this without a lot of trouble. It is easy.

But the biggest issue so far seems to be making sure you have the correct triangle.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:11 PM

Thanks so much. Great tutorial.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:18 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by misoop
KLO, I think you're right. I don't have a 60 degree cutting template, but I do have the 60 degrees on my regular rulers. But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use it!! Am I dumb or what? If I could figure it out, I could get on with this quilt, instead of waiting to order one. Any help or pictures to show me how to lay it correctly on the fabric. No, I just did one block to see if it would come out OK....glad I didn't cut it all using this Marti Mitchell tool....which apparently is not the correct one to use. :)
As cutebuns said, I do think there is a spot on her tutorial that shows how to line up the regular ruler. If I remember right, you put the 60 degree line that is indicated on your ruler along the bottom edge of you fabric strips and cut one side of the 60 degree triangle. Then line the other 60 degree line up again on the bottom edge (hope your ruler is like mine where it had criss crossing 60 degree lines labeled) and that should give you your finished 60 degree triangle (you will be cutting the opposite direction of the first cut). Not sure that this is very clear so I would highly suggest checking out cutebuns tutorial as she put together one heck of a photo tute. Good luck and hope this helps at least a little. (By the way, it's not necessary to buy a new ruler if you have the one with the 60 degree lines on it. Save you $$$ for fabric!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

Thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
i just wish i had cutebuns instead of saggybuns :lol: :lol: that is a great tute
Have you seen the movie "Calender Girls". My favorite quote is "We're going to need considerably bigger buns!" If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks, everyone for your help. I did several searches on here, and finally found www.lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com which had a picture of putting painters tape on the 60* line and where to place that line, etc. Finally!!! I can now get on with my quilt of valor.....can't wait to see how this turns out in patriotic fabric.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 PM

Thank you for the tute!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
i just wish i had cutebuns instead of saggybuns :lol: :lol: that is a great tute
Nancy - I literally spewed my sleepy time tea (since my son told me to "stop sewing I'm trying to sleep") I'm there with you - would love cute buns; or firm buns or anything other than saggy buns!!!