Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Piecing the Apple Core or "Double bit ax" by hand

Terri, that is awesome. I love it. Don't understand this pattern, but I sure love the outcome. Great job ladies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chickadeee55 View Post
    Terri, that is awesome. I love it. Don't understand this pattern, but I sure love the outcome. Great job ladies.
    This pattern is really very simple. One piece fits exactly into the curve of the other one. You lay one across and the next one up and down. Once you get the hang of it, it will go faster than you think. Try it!! You can do it.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.

Is this pattern hand sewn? (my eyes could never handle it.)

Is there a method for machine piecing? I have lots of civil war scraps and shirting scraps, I would think would look great like this.

Blog Entries

Is there a method for machine piecing? I have lots of civil war scraps and shirting scraps, I would think would look great like this.
    Certainly you can stitch this on the machine. I just find that when sewing curves like this, it is so much easier for me to hand stitch. It is a fun pattern. Try it .... You'll like it.

Blog Entries
    Ladies, you've re-inspired me to try my hand at this....again.......I started one of these years ago (only got as far as drawing the shapes on the back of fabric) and it all felt so overwhelming I just stuffed it in a ziploc and buried it in a draw....now I want to drag it back out and try again.. Thanks for the inspiration.......
    The only gift is a portion of thyself.....Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Ladies, you've re-inspired me to try my hand at this....again.......I started one of these years ago (only got as far as drawing the shapes on the back of fabric) and it all felt so overwhelming I just stuffed it in a ziploc and buried it in a draw....now I want to drag it back out and try again.. Thanks for the inspiration.......
    You can do it!!! Drag those scraps out and get started!!! Need any help? Holler!

Blog Entries
    I would really love to try this as well. Not you cut out each apple core yourself right? Where do you find a pattern to help guide in he cutting? i don't own any diecut machine to this for me. But i would truely love to try this. You make it sound so easy.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

owlvamp, glad you saw this! i can send you a template and so can #1 as well. i think she is getting the die cut for this...you should pm her and ask her. they are fast to mark out and cut. i am almost done with my second top! it went together so much faster than the first and the stitches are so much more even and nice looking. i spose she's right with practice makes perfect! anyways, you can pm either me or #1 and we'll send you a template and get you started! awesome you want to try this!
    Quote Originally Posted by owlvamp View Post
    I would really love to try this as well. Not you cut out each apple core yourself right? Where do you find a pattern to help guide in he cutting? i don't own any diecut machine to this for me. But i would truely love to try this. You make it sound so easy.
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

Blog Entries

I'm sure you can sew this on the machine. Just take your time and gently ease you fabric around into place as you go.

Blog Entries
    This thread has inspired me....I bought the core die a few years back starting making a few rows but stopped and them ended up recutting the pieces into a different shape for my tumblers. But after seeing this post I think I may give it another shot but this time hand piecing it instead of machine...this would be a great bring along quilt when visiting others or waiting for appointments....even lunch break at work. Thanks for the post!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast