Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Backing Binding AKA Self Binding a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/backing-binding-aka-self-binding-quilt-t47705.html)

MaryAnna 05-30-2010 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
WOO HOO THANKS :thumbup:

Great Job on the Tute , there were a couple spots where I was lost with just the words , but as I told you before I am a visual person and the pics really cleared it up :lol: :shock: :lol:

Can't wait to try this have three quilts pinned and will try this with the next one I quilt :wink:

You're gonna love this method! It's so easy and a wonderful way to bring a nice backing forward as the binding!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna

Granna of 5 05-30-2010 08:10 PM

Thanks for the tute, great instructions.

Butterflyblue 05-31-2010 05:35 PM

I have used this method a couple of times lately, and I like it. I'm going to have to try your method for corners, though, since I kind of miter mine and they never turn out as neat as I would like.

craftybear 05-31-2010 09:38 PM

thanks again for posting this tutorial, you are awesome!

ann clare 06-01-2010 01:43 PM

Thank you. That is the way I started. Brought back memories.

MaryAnna 06-01-2010 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by ann clare
Thank you. That is the way I started. Brought back memories.

Yes, it's an oldie but a goodie!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna

teacherbailey 06-02-2010 02:18 AM

This is the only way I bind mine! I have, on occasion, pieced the back....using a less-than-perfect-for-binding fabric for most of the back and then using the small amount of perfect fabric sort of as a border on the back, so it's what shows when I self-bind to finish! However...I am a veteran topmaker and not much of a finisher so this may be a trick that works for me and not everybody....I do it to finish quickly.

irma tapia 06-02-2010 08:48 AM

I like the mitered corners better. It's a little more work to attach the binding but in the end I think it looks better in front, you don't have the edge of the binding showing on the top of the quilt.

MaryAnna 06-02-2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
This is the only way I bind mine! I have, on occasion, pieced the back....using a less-than-perfect-for-binding fabric for most of the back and then using the small amount of perfect fabric sort of as a border on the back, so it's what shows when I self-bind to finish! However...I am a veteran topmaker and not much of a finisher so this may be a trick that works for me and not everybody....I do it to finish quickly.

That's an excellent idea! I'll have to try that one!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna

MaryAnna 06-02-2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by irma tapia
I like the mitered corners better. It's a little more work to attach the binding but in the end I think it looks better in front, you don't have the edge of the binding showing on the top of the quilt.

You can actually do a mitered corner with the self binding, I've seen that as well! Whatever works for you is great!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna