Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/basting-elmers-washable-school-glue-t208057.html)

anndr 12-14-2012 04:48 AM

Oh, I love the quilt in the bottom right corner! What's the name of the pattern? I gotta make this one. Love it! ~~Ann~~

Quilter Day-by-Day 12-14-2012 05:50 AM

Are you showing that you used Elmer's glue to sandwich your quilt. By the way very pretty.

Geri B 12-14-2012 05:55 AM

from the pics I am presuming you haver to "flip" this batt/glued back over to then glue the top onto the otherside of that batt?

linynp 12-14-2012 06:01 AM

Oh cool!!! Thank you!! Now question- for whatever reason I thought you dilute the glue with water and spray it on. Using dabs more secure?? And, do you iron it down? Thanks so much!

sheliab12 12-14-2012 06:10 AM

I like this but my hands won't squeeze that bottle very long. I have arthritic hands. Any suggestions. Could you put it in a plate or pan and us a foam brush to spread it?

carslo 12-14-2012 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by anndr (Post 5719328)
Oh, I love the quilt in the bottom right corner! What's the name of the pattern? I gotta make this one. Love it! ~~Ann~~

It is from the Turning Twenty booklet but I used 30 fat quarters and doubled up on the green and cranberry ones. Easy to do and effective. Glad you liked it.

carslo 12-14-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by sheliab12 (Post 5719481)
I like this but my hands won't squeeze that bottle very long. I have arthritic hands. Any suggestions. Could you put it in a plate or pan and us a foam brush to spread it?

I was told you can put half water and half glue in a spray bottle and then add 5 drops of liquid dish soap, then swirl the dish soap into the water and glue with the straw attached to the nozzle and spray it on. I will be trying this as soon as I get an empty bottle. Remembering to rinse out the straw and nozzle after each use. Sounds like a win/win soultion to me. Let me know if you try it out before I do :)

carslo 12-14-2012 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter Day-by-Day (Post 5719419)
Are you showing that you used Elmer's glue to sandwich your quilt. By the way very pretty.

Yes I am I could post the pics before but the written tutorial is here too.

carslo 12-14-2012 06:44 AM

Yes, I did. I let it dry overnight or you could iron a smaller quilt to make the process go faster.

carslo 12-14-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG (Post 5714766)
You have to resize your photos to about 480 pixels to download them here carslo! I put mine into Picasa (a free google progam) then export them. There is an option to resize as you export.

I've used the school glue for QAYG for holding it all together. I had good results with it that way too.

Thank you for the heads up about Piscasa I did that last night and posted picture too but with no explanations I wish I could link the two posts :)