Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/basting-elmers-washable-school-glue-t208057.html)

ccthomas 12-14-2012 07:04 AM

When the glue is dried, can you feel each glue spot? What about sewing over the glue?

misseva 12-14-2012 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by carslo (Post 5719550)
I was told you can put half water and half glue in a spray bottle and then add 5 drops of liquid dish soap, then swirl the dish soap into the water and glue with the straw attached to the nozzle and spray it on. I will be trying this as soon as I get an empty bottle. Remembering to rinse out the straw and nozzle after each use. Sounds like a win/win soultion to me. Let me know if you try it out before I do :)

Can you explain about the straw?? Do you put it on the spray bottle?

SewExtremeSeams 12-14-2012 09:30 AM

Thanks for the photos.

Marysewfun 12-14-2012 10:34 AM

I just looked at the instructions on your BlogSpot - very nicely done. Thank you.

Mary

carslo 12-14-2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by misseva (Post 5719792)
Can you explain about the straw?? Do you put it on the spray bottle?

There is a straw inside the spray bottle it pokes into the noozle ( it is already in the bottle - it is the part that sucks the water up when you squeeze the trigger on the noozle) Sry if I was unclear :)

misseva 12-14-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by carslo (Post 5720037)
There is a straw inside the spray bottle it pokes into the noozle ( it is already in the bottle - it is the part that sucks the water up when you squeeze the trigger on the noozle) Sry if I was unclear :)

ok, i get it. thanks. i'll have to try this.

JeanieG 12-14-2012 11:40 AM

Carslo - your very welcome! The tute on your blog was great, and the link is there for anyone to follow. I just wanted to relieve some of your frustration on not being able to post the photos!

grma33 12-15-2012 03:41 AM

What does the dish soap do?
I had a 15 inch sq to sandwich for a test piece and used a glue stick on the backing put down the bat and then used my spray
i just smoothed the lumps with my finger worked great
Gale

ellenmg 12-15-2012 04:57 AM

Thanks so much for this tut, I really hate pinning and basting quilts, so next one I will do this way!

carslo 12-15-2012 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by ccthomas (Post 5719628)
When the glue is dried, can you feel each glue spot? What about sewing over the glue?

I have done 4 queen or king size quilts using the above method. Yes, I could feel and see the dried glue when I FMQ but if dry there was no trouble sewing, I tried to do a quick applique the other night of a star on a tree and I didn't iron it well enough and the glue did gum up my needle slightly. It has to be dry for the best results. I did let my larger quilts dry overnight and had no trouble.