Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/basting-elmers-washable-school-glue-t208057.html)

A1penny 12-15-2012 10:34 AM

Ah ha! Thanks so much for the tutorial! Now I understand. And, I'd LOVE to be able to be able to Free motion quilt from the edge. THANKS!!!

anndr 12-15-2012 03:39 PM

Thanks for this info. Do you remember which Turning Twenty book? There's several I know and I have about three of them. I just want to be sure I have the correct book before starting to cut. Thanks again for your help! ~~Ann~~

carslo 12-16-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by anndr (Post 5722360)
Thanks for this info. Do you remember which Turning Twenty book? There's several I know and I have about three of them. I just want to be sure I have the correct book before starting to cut. Thanks again for your help! ~~Ann~~

It was the Turning Twenty ... Again The 30 Blocks 5 x 6 setting but I didn't put any borders on it just a black binding as it was large enough already :) I know I stitch Unit B with the 2.5 x 8.5 section to the right of the 8.5 x 8.5 block instead of the left. By the time I figured out I had sewn it incorrectly I was more than 1/2 way finished Unit B so left it that way. I figured it was a scrappy quilt so it wouldn't matter :) I did 4 dark green fat quarters and 4 cranberry Fat Quarters to give it a more structured look. So glad that you like it.

Candace 12-21-2012 08:56 AM

I like to make my backing taunt with clips before pinning, so I'm not sure this technique would work? Or could I clip the backing to the table and put the glue on the backing and then lay down the batting?

carslo 12-21-2012 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5733021)
I like to make my backing taunt with clips before pinning, so I'm not sure this technique would work? Or could I clip the backing to the table and put the glue on the backing and then lay down the batting?

Yes I did clamp one of my quilts as it had a couple of wrinkles and I was too lazy to iron it - the glueing process was just fine this way :)

Candace 12-21-2012 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by carslo (Post 5733143)
Yes I did clamp one of my quilts as it had a couple of wrinkles and I was too lazy to iron it - the glueing process was just fine this way :)

Thanks, I'll have to give this a shot. I've not liked fusible batting or spray. I find the layers still shifted way too much. So, I'm curious to see if this would work for me.

Rosebird 01-03-2013 01:11 PM

Thank you very much for sharing. We need all the saving we can get, so we can buy MORE FABRIC.

Z 01-04-2013 03:04 AM

School glue by the gallon can be found at school supply stores or office supply stores.

ianjohnson 01-07-2013 02:20 AM

Thank you for this thoughtful post, so full of ideas.. it is helpful & your post motivated me..thank

CGee 02-09-2013 12:35 PM

This is a great tip! I wonder if it works with other battings, esp. polyester?