Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/basting-elmers-washable-school-glue-t208057.html)

gingerella 02-10-2013 08:43 PM

couldn't the glue be thinned with water, put into a spray bottle and used that way? I just thought of that. I just bought a small bottle of the stuff myself to learn how to baste with it.

Sam Poodles 02-11-2013 06:31 AM

JanTx: I use the spray also, and to get around the overspray issue, I bought 2 huge thin vinyl tablecloths that I cover my working surface with. I put the can a little closer to the batting when I'm at the edges to decrease the overspray. I can simply wash the tablecloths with a hose out in the yard when they get too sticky....They cost $.75 each so sometimes I just throw them out and buy replacements! They are 108 X whatever (75??) so it's plenty big using two.

carslo 02-11-2013 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by CGee (Post 5849871)
This is a great tip! I wonder if it works with other battings, esp. polyester?

I have used polyester also and it worked also - I used a bit more glue as the glue seeped into more holes in the poly vs the cotton battings.

carslo 02-11-2013 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by gingerella (Post 5853099)
couldn't the glue be thinned with water, put into a spray bottle and used that way? I just thought of that. I just bought a small bottle of the stuff myself to learn how to baste with it.

I tried a spray bottle and didn't like how it was so hard to get it to spray, I do thin the glue a bit in the regular bottles with water. Good luck!

JanTx 02-11-2013 07:45 AM

The last quilt I glue basted had visible dried glue spots from the front - a lot of white was in the top. When it was finished I threw it in the washer and no problems afterwards.

JudyMcLeod 02-12-2013 07:53 PM

I do not wash my quilts when I get done with them, so not sure if this would work. I tried the glue on a wallhanging which I do not plan to wash either and there are hard spots where I had put the glue, so think that is what would happen on a quilt too. Any suggestions?

carol45 02-12-2013 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by JudyMcLeod (Post 5857856)
I do not wash my quilts when I get done with them, so not sure if this would work. I tried the glue on a wallhanging which I do not plan to wash either and there are hard spots where I had put the glue, so think that is what would happen on a quilt too. Any suggestions?

It definitely needs to be washed after using this technique.

minstrel 02-13-2013 08:06 AM

I used this method on my last quilt, but my lines were probably twice as far apart and it still worked like a charm. Then used the glue for my binding as well. I had a few thicker glue areas, but didn't have any problems whatsoever with it gumming up my needle and once I finished it and washed it, all the glue came right out. Another thing...I don't have a ping pong table - just a 6' folding banquet-type table - and glue basted it in sections, letting it dry for about an hour in between sections. Again, not a problem. And because I basted this just before Christmas, things got busy and I folded up the quilt after I glued it and it set for about a month before I got it out to quilt it. Not a thing moved! I'm never going back to thread or pin basting!

AUQuilter 02-18-2013 05:22 AM

I am giving this a try! Thanks for taking the time to do the tutorial and updates.

#1 AAA quilter 03-27-2013 06:02 AM

Thanks for the tutorial