Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Bow Tuck Tote Pictorial Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/bow-tuck-tote-pictorial-tutorial-t55016.html)

MiMi in Lutz 09-12-2010 12:53 PM

Well, I finally finished by bow tuck. And it did turn out great! But honestly, I dont think I could have done it without the tute. THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!

Margandi 09-12-2010 01:49 PM

Thank you for the picture tutorial. I've had the pattern and materials since July & just started cutting this past week. Got stuck on the pocket--would you believe? Your pictures make it much simpler. I also have the fusible pellon. Do you quilt that?

knlsmith 09-13-2010 12:16 AM

I quilt it if the fabric wants me too. :). I'm one of those silly people who hear it talk to me. My daughter uses hers all the time and no troubles. We handwash in cool water to be safe. If I use basting spray n batting I'd quilt it.

jackson2 09-29-2010 06:01 AM

I have a question about the interior pockets, after you mark the 8 1/2" line and match up the raw edges and sew your 1/4" seam, then fold the fabric over, you're supposed to get around 2 1/2" above the pockets. For some reason I'm getting 3 1/2". What am I doing wrong? This is on the small bow tucks bag. Help! Anyone have this problem? What did you do?

knlsmith 09-29-2010 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by jackson2
I have a question about the interior pockets, after you mark the 8 1/2" line and match up the raw edges and sew your 1/4" seam, then fold the fabric over, you're supposed to get around 2 1/2" above the pockets. For some reason I'm getting 3 1/2". What am I doing wrong? This is on the small bow tucks bag. Help! Anyone have this problem? What did you do?

Are you using the mini bow tuck pattern? The measurement down from the top is different than 8 1/2 on the regular bow tuck pattern.

jackson2 09-29-2010 06:48 AM

Yes, this is the mini bowtucks pattern. How much space do you have above your interior pockets?

knlsmith 09-29-2010 06:50 AM

I don't know about the mini. I am sure someone else will bed around to answer. But You may try measuring from the bottom instead of the top. Just place the top of you pocket where you would like to have it end and use that as a sort of template for a general idea.

brookemarie19 09-29-2010 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by charvan

Originally Posted by knlsmith
I have a tip. We get shoppers in the mail all the time. So I took newspaper and cut n taped it together bfore I made my first one. I do this a lot now. Helped a TON.

This is a great idea. I will try this before the fabric trial. I am sure this tute will help; the instructions on the pattern are not that clearly written, and this tute helps.

I think I will be doing this also. I do have one question though. I have seen many of these quilted. At what step should you be quilting your fabrics together so that is isn't too difficult when putting together? I hope I am making sense to you. Thanks for the tute, it was very visual and thats the kind of stuff I need

knlsmith 09-30-2010 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19

Originally Posted by charvan

Originally Posted by knlsmith
I have a tip. We get shoppers in the mail all the time. So I took newspaper and cut n taped it together bfore I made my first one. I do this a lot now. Helped a TON.

This is a great idea. I will try this before the fabric trial. I am sure this tute will help; the instructions on the pattern are not that clearly written, and this tute helps.

I think I will be doing this also. I do have one question though. I have seen many of these quilted. At what step should you be quilting your fabrics together so that is isn't too difficult when putting together? I hope I am making sense to you. Thanks for the tute, it was very visual and thats the kind of stuff I need

The pattern tells you when to quilt if you want it quilted. It's pretty easy. I don't always. Kind of like the candy bar... sometimes you feel like a "quilt" and sometimes you don't.

brookemarie19 09-30-2010 05:41 AM

Thanks knlsmith. I have the pattern just haven't had time to look at it. I will definitely pay attention to when I can do it.