Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Cathedral Window Quilt sewn by hand (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/cathedral-window-quilt-sewn-hand-t145154.html)

rainbowzebra 08-14-2011 02:20 PM

17 Attachment(s)
Hope I can explain this so everyone can understand.
Muslin is 7 inch square and windows are 2 inch trimed down later.

I use a 6 inch cardboard to press seam allowances
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241807[/ATTACH]

2 sides first then the other 2 remove cardboard
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241808[/ATTACH]

fold in half - right side together - stitch from outer edge to center on both ends I use an air erase marker to dot the center
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241809[/ATTACH]

when both ends are sewn turn right side out
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241813[/ATTACH]

stitch from center half way out on both sides again I use an air erase marker to mark the center I work from the center out because that is how I was taught to do it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241814[/ATTACH]

fold opposite corner points to center and stitch together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241815[/ATTACH]

then one at a time the 2 remaining corners, when all corners are sewn together tack through the center to keep in place.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241821[/ATTACH]

You must decide which side of the square you want to be the back of your quilt. One ways show all your tiny stitches the other way is plain. I went for the stitches - figured if I was going to do all those tiny stitches I wanted them to show.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241823[/ATTACH]

now you need to attach 2 squares together. Bach sides of quilt together I do the tiny stitches again but this will be covered by the colored window fabric.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241824[/ATTACH]

trim colored fabric to fit just inside that center square. pinch two sides up at corner and stitch then continue down each side folding muslin over window and stitching down. Do not go all the way through to the back.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241825[/ATTACH]

2 points of the square will be free, the other 2 will not as that is where the 2 squares are sewn together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241827[/ATTACH]

6 finished squares ready to be added to quilt (above) the back of those 6 squares
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241830[/ATTACH]

6 squares added to quilt - I just can not blindly stick my hand into the window pile and use it - I pick and choose but on ly here there is not a great master plan for color
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241835[/ATTACH]

next set of six ready to go Hope this is clear. Sorry for the color difference in the pictures they were taken in different rooms.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241842[/ATTACH]

back of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241845[/ATTACH]

hopetoquilt 08-14-2011 02:51 PM

Thanks for the tutorial. BTW, would you put batting under the blue/floral fabric? What does the back look like when you are done?

manley 08-14-2011 03:26 PM

Your tutorial is excellent. I have not tried this method but sure looks like fun. I do enjoy catherdral window quilts. Thanks so much again. :thumbup:

cmrenno 08-14-2011 04:15 PM

Thank you for making this so clear. I love the cardboard for pressing idea.

Morag 08-14-2011 04:15 PM

Interesting process. I make my squares differently but the outcome seems to be the end result appears to be the same.
I am in the process of making my second one for my daughters wedding present.

I was taught by a very elderly lady who lived in the appalachian mountains of Virginia. Interesting how patterns were created with a little different twist to them.

blueangel 08-14-2011 08:18 PM

Thank you.

rainbowzebra 08-14-2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
Thanks for the tutorial. BTW, would you put batting under the blue/floral fabric? What does the back look like when you are done?

no batting

sawsan 08-14-2011 09:30 PM

Thank u 4 the tutorial, your Musline looks thick. or only in the picture?
I had an idea Muslin is thin and i am not sure i tuched the right one yet
your work,colours, lights all is great

honeebee 08-15-2011 03:39 AM

i've been working on one for a while now. your tut is wonderful. i use a 9" block for mine. i just love all the colors.mine is not a beautiful as yours but i'm getting there.
[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...2007/004-1.jpg[/IMG]

#1piecemaker 08-15-2011 04:47 AM

I love this pattern!! You did a super job. thanks for the tute!