Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Confetti Quilt Instructor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/confetti-quilt-instructor-t151104.html)

jand635 09-07-2011 09:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I am the Confetti instructor that you read of in "A new technique for me" topic. Attached here you will see some of my students work.

It might interest you to know that none of these students call themselves artists. Meaning that they could not draw. As you can see they really are artists and they were pleasantly surprised when they created these wonderful pieces.

This technique is very simple....no, really! Anyone can do it. I have had 80 year old folks who never made art accomplish this and even a color blind man. It doesn't take long either. Actually, you could create whole thing, start to finish, in one weekend with time left over for a glass of wine or tea!

Enjoy

Italian countryside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252839[/ATTACH]

Sunset with tree
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252840[/ATTACH]

another dog
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252841[/ATTACH]

I go To The Sea To Breathe 09-07-2011 09:03 AM

HOW???????

jand635 09-07-2011 09:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Is this legal? To reply to your own posting?
LOL
In case you didn't notice, the Confetti pictures in my post are not quite finished. The students were working on the quilting. Here are a few more.

Oliver's fish (Oliver is color blind)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252842[/ATTACH]

Carol's sunset (this one is finished) By the way Carol made the edges wavy on purpose.)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252843[/ATTACH]

This was my first Confetti art and I am no artist!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252844[/ATTACH]

jand635 09-07-2011 09:13 AM

Hello there-
Well, to make it short, you find your picture, transfer it onto some batting. Then you chop up your fabric using a rotary cutter NOT scissors. Then you sprinkle the tiny pieces onto the batting which is laying on top of your backing. You have to work flat on a flat surface. I encourage students to use a design board (think cardboard or foam core board). Once the design covers the batting to your satisfaction, you cover the whole thing with bridal tulle (fine netting) and you quilt it to death with your machine.

Got it?

Lacelady 09-07-2011 10:58 AM

Ah, I was wondering how you got the tiny pieces - also, I presume you chop them all up separately - what do you store them in?

I suppose what I really need to know what size of fabric would you chop up for a usable amount of confetti.

qbquilts 09-07-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by jand635
Hello there-
Well, to make it short, you find your picture, transfer it onto some batting. Then you chop up your fabric using a rotary cutter NOT scissors. Then you sprinkle the tiny pieces onto the batting which is laying on top of your backing. You have to work flat on a flat surface. I encourage students to use a design board (think cardboard or foam core board). Once the design covers the batting to your satisfaction, you cover the whole thing with bridal tulle (fine netting) and you quilt it to death with your machine.

Got it?

These all look great, but I have a question. How do you transfer it onto batting?

Bonbonary 09-07-2011 11:42 AM

I saw this type of art shown on "Sewing with Nancy." It looks fairly easy, but your samples here are much prettier than what Nancy had on the show.

Tartan 09-07-2011 11:55 AM

Looks interesting. Have you thought about using Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt? I think it would make the pieces stay in place somewhat until you could stitch the tulle down. I think I might have to give it a try with some scraps.

cmrenno 09-07-2011 11:58 AM

Is this like the book Snippets???? It is a facinating technique.

jand635 09-07-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Ah, I was wondering how you got the tiny pieces - also, I presume you chop them all up separately - what do you store them in?

I suppose what I really need to know what size of fabric would you chop up for a usable amount of confetti.

Hello-
No! I don't chop each piece one at a time. I use my rotary cutter to go back and forth over the fabric till it is all chopped up. I store the confetti in zip locs or in old egg cartons.
I can't tell you how much to chop up without seeing the picture you will be making. It doesn't take much. a 12 inch square makes a lot of confetti. By the way, I am making a video to rent about this method. Stay tuned.